The university requires that you complete daily class attendance through the Moodle Attendance activity. The system will pre-populate the Moodle attendance activity shell, but you, as the faculty member, will need to indicate when your course meets. You would do this once at the beginning of the academic term, by adding a repeating class session.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- From the main page of your course in Moodle, click on the pre-loaded Attendance activity. This activity should be located near the “Announcements” forum in the first ‘General’ section of your course.
- From within the Attendance activity, click on the second tab, titled, “Add session.”
- On the “Add session” page, under the “Add session” heading, complete the:
- Scroll down to the “Multiple sessions” section. Check the box next to “Repeat the session above as follows.”
- Next to “Repeat on” check the boxes next to the days of the week you meet.
- Complete the “Repeat until” date with the last day of class or of the term.
- DO NOT ADJUST THE “Repeat every” setting unless you do not meet every week. For instance, if you meet every other week, you would change this setting to ‘2’ instead of ‘1.’
- Click the “Add” button to create your class sessions.
- The system will create all of your sessions as indicated and return you back to the main attendance activity page, with a notice of how many sessions it generated
A few notes:
- To take attendance, click on the attendance activity and then click on the green circle in the “Actions” column for the appropriate class session. Mark students:
P – Present, L – Late, E – Excused, or A – Absent.
- To change the name of the activity (to remove the Faculty instructions, for instance), on the main page of your course, turn on the editing. Click the pencil next to the Attendance activity name. Makes your changes and click enter.
- To make the attendance activity graded, on the main page of your course, turn on the editing. Click on the “Edit” drop-down for the “Attendance” activity, and choose the “Edit settings” option. Under “Grade,” change the type to Points and update the “Maximum grade” value, if you choose.