You can adjust your gradebook category’s aggregation in a similar way to adjusting your entire gradebook’s aggregation. By default, the Moodle gradebook category’s aggregation (the way it adds your grade values) is ‘Simple Weighted Mean of Grades.’ If you wish to use another aggregation in your gradebook category, follow the steps below to change the aggregation.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- Login to Moodle and enter the course in which you wish to adjust the gradebook category’s aggregation.
- From the main page of the course, click on the gray, ‘Edit’ gear wheel in the upper right corner.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, click on the “Gradebook setup” option.
- From the “Gradebook setup” page, locate the gradebook category that you wish to adjust.
- Follow the name of the category over to the right of the page and locate the “Actions” column.
- Click on the “Edit” drop-down under the “Actions” column.
- Choose the “Edit Settings” option.
- On the next page, change the “Aggregation” option to the one you would prefer. Scroll down and save your work.
- You will see a notice that the grades are being recalculated, if you already have grades in the category.
- Back on the “Gradbeook setup” page, the aggregation written in the bottom left under “Course total” will have changed or, in the case of the “Natural” aggregation, disappeared entirely.
- If you have chosen an aggregation of either “Weighted Mean of Grades” or “Natural,” you will now see a “Weights” column.
- For “Natural,” the weights in the boxes are automatically generated and are there only to show you what weight the points for that assignment carry in the overall course total. (For example, in a 500-point course, an assignment of 100 points carries a weight of 0.2 or 20% of the course total grade.)
- For “Weighted Mean of Grades,” update the weights in the appropriate boxes, and click the “Save changes” button underneath the gradebook.