By default, the Moodle gradebook aggregation (the way it adds your grade values) is ‘Simple Weighted Mean of Grades.’ This is points-based, and does not allow you to weight categories or items.
If your syllabus is set up with various categories (e.g., Quizzes, Homework, Papers, etc.) or grade items (e.g., Mid-term Exam, Final Presentation, etc.) carrying different weights (e.g, Quizzes – 20%, Papers 40%, Final Presentation 20%), then you want your gradebook aggregation to be ‘Weighted Mean of Grades.’
To change the aggregation of your gradebook, follow these steps.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- Login to Moodle and enter the course in which you wish to set-up the gradebook.
- In the upper right corner of the main page, click on the gray ‘Edit’ gear wheel.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, select the “Gradebook setup” option.
- From the “Gradebook setup” page, locate the “Actions” column.
- Follow your course name across to the “Actions” column. Click on the “Edit” drop-down under the “Actions” column.
- Choose the “Edit Settings” option.
- On the next page, change the “Aggregation” option to “Weighted mean of grades.” Scroll down and save your work.
- Back on the “Gradebook setup” page, you will now see a “Weights” column.
- Place the weights in the appropriate boxes, and click the “Save changes” button underneath the gradebook.