Moodle allows you to manually override an individual grade item, a grade category total, or even your course’s total. Once an item has been overridden, the content is static, as in the number will not change. So if you override a category or course total, any changes, additions, or subtractions will no longer be reflected in that grade.
You can tell when an item has been overridden in the gradebook by the shaded, tan-colored background that appears.
You can remove an override in your gradebook by following the steps below.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- From the main page of your course, look in your left column (with the purple background). If you do not see your left column, click on the menu icon in the upper left corner (with the three gray lines) to expand the column.
- Click on the ‘Grades’ link in the left column.
- On the ‘Grader report’ screen, turn on the editing capabilities by clicking the ‘Turn editing on’ button in the upper right corner.
- You will know the editing is on when there are boxes for each student for each assignment. Remember all overridden gradebook items and categories have that shaded, tan-ish background:
- When the grade entry boxes appear, there will also be a gray “edit” gear wheel icon by each box. This allows you to adjust the setting for the grade, including adding feedback and adding or removing an override.
- Click on the icon for the cell for which you wish to remove the override.
- On the “Edit Grade” screen, uncheck the box next to “Overridden.”
- Once the override is removed, you’ll notice you can no longer change the grade. This is because the grade will now automatically pull from the graded activity or the category will now total automatically again.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click the “Save changes” button. Your update will be saved and you will be brought back to the “Grader Report” page.
- Now the grade item will pull again from the activity and/or the category will total correctly. There will be no more shaded, tan-ish background. If the activity has no grade or the gradebook category has no other content, the box will be empty.