Often, you may find a resource on the internet to which you wish to link your students. URLs or Uniform Resource Locators are the website addresses that you provide to your students like http://www.trinitydc.edu/ or https://moodle.org/.
To add the URL to your course:
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- Login to Moodle and, in the “My Courses” block/list, the click on the course to which you wish to add the URL resource.
- From the main page of your course, click on the gray ‘Edit’ gear wheel in the upper right corner.
- From the drop-down menu that appears, click the ‘Turn editing on’ option.
- Once editing is on, click the “+Add an activity or resource” link in the week/topic to which you wish to add the URL resource.
- This will pop up a window with a list of all the possible activities and resources you can add. The activities are listed first. Scroll down to see the resources.
- From the “Resources” list, select the “URL” option. Click the “Add” button.
- On the next page, fill out the name of the URL.
- Then type in or paste in the full web address. In most cases, it’s easiest to open a new tab or browser window and go the the website you wish to link. Then you can easily copy the correct URL (Ctrl + C on Windows computers; Cmd + C on Macintosh computers) to paste into the field labelled “External URL.”
- If you are interested, you can add a description, and check the box next “Display description on course page” so that you can see the text from the description box on the main course page.
- When you are done, scroll down to the bottom and click the “Save and return to course” button. Your URL resource will appear with an icon of a small globe with a piece of paper behind it next to the name.
NOTE: You could also enter the web address in the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor in a summary, label, forum, or other activity. Once you have typed in the address, highlight the text that you wish to be your link and click on the icon in the top row of the editor that looks like a piece of chain linked: Then type or paste the website address into the ‘Link URL’ field. Click insert and your text is now linked!