The administrator for a resource course should have the role of ‘Developer.’ This allows you to enroll users with ‘Teacher’-level permissions. If you have a role of ‘Teacher’ in the resource course, you can still add users, but you can only enroll them with Student, Guest Teacher, Guest Participant, Observer, or Non-Editing Teacher permissions.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
To enroll users in a resource course, follow these steps below:
- Login to Moodle and enter the resource course to which you wish to add users.
- From the main page of your course, look in your left column (with the purple background). If you do not see your left column, click on the menu icon in the upper left corner (with the three gray lines) to expand the column.
- Once the left column is visible, click on the “Participants” option.
- From the “Participants” page, click on the gray ‘edit’ gear wheel in the upper right corner of the main section.
- Select the “Enrolled users” option from the drop-down menu that appears.
- From the “Enrolled users” screen, click on the “Enroll users” (or “Enrol users”) button in the upper right.
- In the window that pops up, make sure to select the role you wish to assign the users. (It’s ‘Student’ by default.) Then, in the “Search” box, type the name of the individual you wish to enroll in this resource course, and click the “Search” button.
- Locate the user you wished to enroll.
- On the right side of the screen, just over from their name, there is an “Enroll” (or “Enrol”) button. Click the “Enroll” button next to their name.
- At this point, the button will disappear and their name will be indented. This is how you know that you have successfully enrolled someone.
- When you are done adding users to your course, click the “Finish enrolling users” button.
NOTE: If you do not see the person you need to enroll after you have used the search field, there are a few possibilities for what has happened:
- The individual may go by a different name. So if you searched for ‘Tom,’ instead try searching for ‘Thomas.’
- The spelling may be different in the system. If the system has a last name of ‘Wanshura’ instead of ‘WansChura,’ you might try searching for ‘Katie Wan’ and seeing if the user appears.
- The user may already be enrolled in the course.
To check to see if this user is already enrolled, return to the “Enrolled Users” page. Enter their name in the “Search” box there, and click the ‘Filter’ button. The appropriate users will appear.