Each publisher has different methods. These steps below are for Cengage to Trinity’s Moodle 3.2, as of January 2018.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- Login to your existing account on Cengage.com.
- Select the textbook in question.
- Scroll down to the “Access Instructor Resources” section and click on the link for the “Instructor Companion Site.”
- NOTE: In theory, you should be able to click the “Test banks” link under the “Book Resources” (instead of the chapter resources) section and download the full test bank there. However, as of January 2018, none of these files would import properly into Trinity’s Moodle, so these steps are the workaround for that.
- From the drop-down menu at the top of the page, select the chapter whose questions you wish to download.
- With the chapter selected, click on the link for the “Test bank Blackboard/D2L/Canvas/Moodle” in the left column.
- With the screen displaying all of the test bank downloads for that chapter, click on one of the zip files to download that section. NOTE: Each web browser downloads files in a slightly different way. These instructions are in Google Chrome.
- Once the file is downloaded, open Moodle. Login and go to the main page for the course into which you wish to import these questions.
- From the main page of your course, click on the gray ‘edit’ gear wheel in the upper right corner.
- From the drop-down menu which appears, click on the “More…” option at the bottom.
- On the “Course Settings” page, scroll down to the “Question bank” settings section.
- Click on the “Import” link in the “Question bank” section.
- Then on the “Import” page, under the “File format,” select the “Blackboard” option.
- Under the “Import questions from file” section, drag the downloaded, zipped file and drop it in the dotted box.
NOTE: You can also click on the “Choose a file…” button and search for the file to upload this way too. The drag-and-dropping simply saves time.
- Once the file is displayed, click the “Import” button.
- The system will parse out any questions from the zipped file. If there are a lot of questions, the import parsing will take longer than if there are only a few questions.
- Once the questions are successfully parsed out, you will see two green notifications at the top of the page, with the beginning of all of the questions displayed underneath them.
NOTE: If there’s an error, you will received a red highlighted message instead.
- Once all of the questions are parsed out, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click the “Continue” button.
- This will bring you to the imported questions as they are in the “Question bank.”
- You can edit the individual question, copy the question, preview the question, and delete the question with the icons to the right of the “Question” column.
- To get back tot he “Import” page and import the next downloaded, zipped file, click the “Import” tab at the top of the main section.
Once your questions are imported, the icon to the left of the “Question” column will indicate what type of question it is.