Trinity, a comprehensive university in the nation’s capital, invites applications for a full-time director of academic advising for the School of Business and Graduate Studies.
Reporting to the Dean of Business and Graduate Studies, the professional advisor will be responsible for employing appropriate strategies to support a caseload of students in the Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Administration, and Master of Arts in Strategic Communication and Public Relations degree tracks. The advisor will create academic plans, help students navigate graduate level expectations, assist in career preparation, and provide resources for graduate student success. The advisor will maintain regular office hours, develop appropriate communications and outreach plans, and participate in evening and weekend events and programs as needed. The advisor will also contribute to key initiatives, including orientation and new student registration.
The advisor will collaborate with the BGS team to assess graduate advising practices and outcomes and use assessment results to guide future advising plans. The advisor will work with the team to stay current on developments in the field of graduate advising, and be a leader on best practices.
Trinity Washington University is a comprehensive institution offering a broad range of undergraduate and graduate educational programs that prepare students across the lifespan for the intellectual, ethical and spiritual dimensions of contemporary work, civic, and family life. Trinity’s core mission, values, and characteristics demonstrate a 119 year-history of commitment to advancing principles of equity, justice and honor in the education of women, and women and men in its graduate programs. The foundation of liberal learning in all graduate and professional programs is actualized through applied and experiential learning opportunities. Our grounding in the mission of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur and the Catholic tradition welcomes persons of all faiths in order to achieve the larger purposes of learning in the human search for meaning and fulfillment.
Specifically, the Director of Advising will be responsible to:
- Maintain an advising caseload and oversee the caseloads of faculty advisors, making any necessary adjustments;
- Collaborate with the Dean in implementing initiatives such as (a) retention efforts that ensure students remain enrolled from semester to semester; (b) processes and plans to ensure that students are registered in an efficient and timely manner; (c) semester and annual plans to ensure student academic success;
- Conduct or assist with orientation sessions for new students;
- Conduct transfer evaluations for students;
- Participate on various committees and work groups as time allows and in consultation with the Dean;
- Coordinate graduation audits and unit graduation activities in collaboration with the Dean;
- Develop and maintain an advisor training manual;
- Troubleshoot student issues and complete other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of a master’s degree in higher education, student affairs, counseling, or a directly related field;
- At least three years collegiate-level advising experience in an academic affairs unit (or similar experience);
- Professional and effective interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Effective organization and verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience with implementing and using research, evaluation, and assessment tools that inform successful academic programs, especially at institutions like Trinity;
- Supervisory experience of professional staff;
- Additionally, he or she will be a motivated self-starter eager for the challenge of working at a growing, mission-based institution.
Please submit letter of application and c.v. to: email@example.com Please reference ” Director of Academic Advising for the Business and Graduate Schools” in the subject line.
Trinity is dedicated to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty and staff. Trinity is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all qualified individuals to apply.