Trinity, a comprehensive university in Washington, D.C., invites applications for a one-year appointment as Writing Specialist, commencing in Fall 2014. This is a full-time, 9-month, professional staff position in Trinity’s historic undergraduate women’s college. Responsibilities of the position include offering dynamic instruction tailored to the needs of variant student populations at Trinity; designing and delivering supplemental instruction sessions to students needing additional support; and playing an active role in assessing both student proficiency and student learning outcomes, using results to improve student placement and retention.
Applicants should possess the qualifications to assess students’ writing skills, a background in student development theory and practice, and a proven record of engaging students in their own learning and experience, using a variety of delivery methods and technologies to prepare students for college-level writing assignments.
The specific responsibilities of the position include:
- Contributing to the design and teaching of pre-foundational and foundational writing courses for Trinity’s general education curriculum
- Teaching several sections of supplementary instruction sessions each semester, with emphasis on improvement of writing fluency, organizational skills, and language structure
- Offering professional development workshops and consultation to the Trinity community on composition pedagogy and assessment
- Maintaining regular office hours for students needing one-on-one tutoring sessions
- Working as a tutor for several hours a week in Trinity’s Writing Center
- Compiling and analyzing course data and presenting key findings in written reports to the Dean’s office and other relevant audiences
- Working with first-year students in an advising capacity
Candidates must possess a master’s degree or doctorate in English, Rhetoric/ Composition, developmental education, or a closely-related field. Other requirements include a minimum of two years teaching writing at an institution of higher education and course work in the theory and practice of teaching writing to post-secondary learners. Candidates will be asked to conduct a teaching demonstration as a part of the interview process.
Official transcripts for all degrees earned, sample course syllabi, course evaluations and/or other evidence of teaching effectiveness, and contact information for three professional references will be requested of candidates invited for an interview.
Please send cover letter and resume to:
email@example.com Please reference “Writing Specialist – One Year Appointment” in the subject line.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Trinity Washington University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Access/Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty and staff. Trinity is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all qualified individuals to apply.