Trinity Logo
Students  Alumnae/i  Faculty/Staff
Business & Graduate Studies | FAQ: Graduate Students

Graduate Student Frequently Asked Questions

Student Status

What is my student status?

Degree and Non-degree Status: Students with non-degree status may apply for degree status by meeting all admission requirements; the student’s faculty advisor must approve in writing all credits earned as a non-degree student that will count toward the student’s degree. Additional Information

What is a leave of absence from Trinity?

A leave of absence is a voluntary leave from campus that a student may request for a variety of reasons; including personal problems, stress, travel, mental exhaustion/illness, and illness or death in the family. A student may request a leave of absence for up to two years, with the intention of returning to Trinity. Additional Information

What is a Complete Withdrawal from Trinity?

A withdrawal from Trinity indicates that the student has no intention of returning to Trinity. If the student decides to return at a later date, the student must apply for readmission. Since withdrawal from Trinity has immediate implications for financial aid, students must have an exit interview with a representative of Student Financial Services. Students are responsible for all tuition associated with the course registrations and any other fees associated with Trinity. Additional Information

How can I apply for a leave of absence/Complete Withdrawal from Trinity? 

Complete the Request for Leave of Absence or Complete Withdrawal form found here.

Advising, Enrollment, & Registration

Who is my Academic Advisor?

Students are assigned advisors specific to their course of study. Meet your Academic Advisor

How do I make an appointment with my Academic Advisor?

Contact your Academic Advisor directly, or call the BGS main office at 202-884-9640. Please note that all new Trinity students should meet with their advisor at least twice during their first two semesters, and when they have achieved 18 credits (for MSA and MA students) and 24 credits (MBA students) to make sure that they are on track for graduation.

Is it possible for me to change my advisor?

Only in extenuating circumstances may a student change advisors if an option is available.

What is an academic plan?

The School of Business and Graduate Studies academic plan is a document that lists all of the courses required to complete a degree program at Trinity Washington University. The academic plan lists the core courses, the requirements for the student’s major. The academic plan also lists all transfer courses and the Trinity course equivalent.

The student’s Academic Advisor will update the academic plan each semester that the student registers for the upcoming semester. The Academic Advisor will also send the student their academic plan via email their first semester at Trinity, and upon request. This allows students to update their own plan each semester during their matriculation at Trinity.

What is the difference between Drop and Withdrawal?

You are permitted to alter the courses you are taking without incurring additional charges during the Add/Drop Period. Dropped courses do not appear on the student’s academic transcript.

Once the Add/Drop period has passed, a course may not be removed from a student’s academic record. Students may, however, still withdraw from a course at any time up to the deadline for withdrawal; dates are listed in the Academic Calendar.

When a student withdraws from a course, a designation of “W” (Withdrawal) will appear on the student’s transcript. Students who fail to withdraw officially or to meet course requirements are subject to receive a grade of “F” (Fail). Students are responsible for payment for courses from which they have withdrawn. Additional Information.

Transfer Policies & Courses at other Institutions

What courses will be accepted as transfer credit?

Generally, graduate-level courses completed at regionally accredited institutions will transfer, provided that a final grade of “B” or better is earned and the course is similar in content and scope to work offered at Trinity. Each course must have been completed no longer than five years prior to the date of matriculation in the degree program. A maximum of 6 credits may be applied toward the degree when transferring to Trinity. Additional Information

Can I repeat a course at another college that I have not passed at Trinity?

A student in the School of Business and Graduate Studies can only repeat a course that they have received an unsatisfactory grade in at Trinity. The unsatisfactory grade will be calculated in the student’s grade point average until the student repeats the course at Trinity and receives a satisfactory grade. In many cases, students can only transfer credits for courses from another college to Trinity and not grades. Additional Information

What are TELL credits?

TELL or Trinity Experiential Lifelong Learning program allows students enrolled in the School of Business and Graduate Studies to receive college credit for life and/or professional experience as it relates to courses required in their degree program.

A maximum of 6 credits earned through experiential learning (learning acquired from work, volunteer, or other professional experience) may be applied toward the completion of a Trinity graduate degree.  Credits taken through the experiential learning program do not count toward the minimum credits required for a student’s full- or part-time status, and such credits are not calculated in the determination of financial aid.

To receive credit for experiential learning, students must submit an Experiential Learning Application for Portfolio Development Form for approval of the Program Director before work on the portfolio can begin. Experiential Learning Forms are available online. Additional Information

Degree Requirements

Academic Standing

What is Academic Probation?

Academic Probation is earned and the notation “Academic Probation” is recorded on the student’s academic transcript whenever the following condition(s) exist:

Students whose cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 or who have completed less than two-thirds of their attempted credits are placed on Academic Probation.

Academic probation indicates that the student is no longer in good academic standing and the student’s eligibility to continue studies at Trinity is under question. Students on academic probation are limited to two courses comprising a course load of no more than six credits during the semester for which they are on academic probation. Students may be removed from academic probation once their cumulative GPA is raised to the minimum standard of 3.0. A graduate student may remain on academic probation for no more than two consecutive semesters.

Students on Academic Probation are required to develop an academic success agreement in consultation with their Academic Advisor.

Additional Information

What is Academic dismissal?

Academic disqualification is earned and the notation “Dismissed” is recorded on the student’s academic transcript whenever the following condition(s) exist:

Students on Academic Probation who do not earn at least a 3.0 semester GPA (following one semester of being on Academic Probation), earn a final grade of “F” in a graduate course or violate the Honor System, as detailed in the Trinity Policy in Academic Honesty may be dismissed from the university. Additional Information

How many times can I repeat a course I have not passed?

A graduate student may repeat any given course only once. Additional Information

The Academic Major

How many of the MSA courses can be completed online?

Two courses in the MSA program are offered online, ADMN 628 Project Management and ADMN 677 Effective HR Strategies.  These courses are cross-listed and can be taken by students in the MBA program, search for BADM 657 Project Management and BADM 673 Effective HR Strategies.  These courses might be offered in either the online or face to face format.

Is it possible to combine the MSA and MBA degree programs?

No, students must first complete one degree program before pursuing a second one.  It is recommended to complete the MBA first, then discuss the MSA degree with your Advisor.

How do I declare double concentration for my MSA program?

An MSA student can declare a second concentration by filling out a change of curriculum form.  Five (5) three (3) credit concentration courses will be added towards your degree for a total of 51 credits to be completed. Please see your Academic Advisor for assistance with changes to your program.

Connect with Trinity: facebook twitter

Contact the School of Business and Graduate Studies at 202-884-9640 or by fax at 202-884-9632.
Interested in attending Trinity? Please visit our Office of Admissions.



Student Services

Campus Services

About Trinity