Trinity Logo
Students  Alumnae/i  Faculty/Staff

Student Affairs | Resources

Community Assistance and Resources

If you have an immediate safety concern on campus, please contact the Department of Public Safety at 202-884-9111 or dial 9111 from a campus phone.

Child Care Resources

Child Care Aware is committed to providing the best information on  locating quality child care and child care resources in communities throughout  D.C., Maryland, and Virginia.

DC Department of Human Services offers subsidized child care program helps low-income families pay their child care fees. The child care subsidy is based on an assessment of need, income and family size.  They offer resources parental choice and child care referral

DC Diaper Bank D.C. Diaper Bank works to strengthen families by providing a reliable and adequate supply of free diapers to families in need living in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.

Maryland Child Care Resource Network Every community in Maryland is served by 1 of 12 regional child care resource and referral centers.

Virginia Child Care Aware Child Care Aware® of Virginia is a community-based network of early care and education specialists whose purpose is to deliver services to families, child care professionals and communities to increase the accessibility, availability, and quality of child care in Virginia.

YMCA and YWCA YMCAs and YWCAs are dedicated to providing high-quality, affordable child care, including  family-centered, values-based programs to nurture children’s healthy  development. Centers are located throughout D.C., Maryland, and Virginia

Domestic Violence Assistance

Domestic violence can occur among all ages, genders, races, educational backgrounds, and socioeconomic groups.  There is no typical victim. Help is available – here’s where to find  it.

National Domestic Violence Hotline: Reach NDVH at 1-800-799-7233 or online chat 24/7 for confidential help finding resources or to talk with someone about your relationship.

Network for Victim Recovery of DC (NVRDC)  202-724-1727

Washington, DC

DC Coalition Against Violence 5 Thomas Circle, NW Washington, DC 20005:  (202) 299-1181 or

DC Rape Crisis Center: PO Box 34125, Washington, DC 20043: 202-232-0789. 24-hour hotline: 202-333-RAPE

DC SANE Call Center 24/7 hotline 800.641.4028

Domestic Violence Intake Center: DC Superior Court Room 4235, 500 Indiana Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20001: 202-879-0152. Satellite Office: 1328 Southern Avenue SE, Suite 311 Washington, DC 20032: 202-561-3000

My Sister’s Place Counseling Center: 202-529-5261. 24-hour hotline: 202-529-5991


Maryland Network Against Domestic Violence

Montgomery County
Abused Persons Program  1301 Piccard Drive, 1st FL, Ste. 1400  Rockville, MD 20850
Hotline: 240-777-2272 or 800-752-0191
Office: 240-777-4210
TTY: 240-777-4850

House of Ruth Maryland (Legal Services)*
Office: 240-777-9077

Prince George’s County
Family Crisis Center of Prince George’s County, Inc. 3601 Taylor Street Brentwood, MD 20722
Office: 301-779-2100

House of Ruth Maryland (Legal and Counseling Services)*
Office: 240-450-3270


Alexandria Battered Women’s Shelter: 421 King Street Suite 400, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314

Doorways Battered Women’s Emergency Shelter and Safe House: PO Box 10085, Arlington, Virginia 22210: 703-237-0881

Fairfax Battered Women’s Shelter: 1850 Cameron Glen Road Suite 600, Reston, Virginia 20190: 703-435-4940

Emergency Food Assistance

Student Affairs can provide students access to our food pantry to assist with short terms needs.  If you need assistance please call Meechie Bowie, Dean of Student Services at 202-884-9611 or email

The Capital Area Food Bank’s Hunger Lifeline is an emergency food assistance referral service for the residents of the DC Metropolitan area including the District of Columbia, Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties, and Northern  Virginia that connects individuals and families seeking immediate aid with a neighborhood CAFB partner agency. If you need assistance  call (202) 644-9807 or for more information please email

Servicios en español
Para recibir ayuda en español, llame al Capital Area Food Bank al (202) 644-9807 entre las horas de 8:30am y 5:00pm. Usted será conectado/a con alguien que hable español y que le pueda dar una referencia para recibir ayuda de un almacén de alimentos  en el área en donde usted vive. Generalmente, se puede encontrar un sitio donde usted pueda recibir ayuda el mismo día de  su llamada.

Additional Area food pantry information:

St. Anthony of Padua, 1029 Monroe St NE  202-250-8208.  Hours are every Wednesday from 9:30-1:00pm. They do require a referral which the Hunger Lifeline can provide.

Family and Youth Outreach Development: 24 Kennedy St NW 202-722-5220. Open Fridays from 11am-1pm

National Baptist Memorial Church: 1501 Columbia Rd NW Phone: 202-265-1410. Open the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month from 9am-1pm

Mt. Rona Baptist Church: 3431 13th St NW 202-483-9762. Wednesday 1pm-5pm. This site requires a referral

Health Services for Family and Women

If you are having a medical emergency, contact Campus Safety at 202-884-9111 or on campus x9111 immediately.The Trinity Washington University Health and Wellness Center provides routine primary care, women’s health and counseling services Monday-Friday between 9am – 5pm. You may walk in or schedule an appointment. All full time, part time, day, evening and weekend students are eligible to receive care.  Care is generally provided at no cost to the student however, we may bill your insurance so please bring your insurance card with you to your visit. There are fees for some services and screening tests.  The Health and Wellness Center is located in Main 461 (4th floor of Main Hall.  Phone: 202-884-9615

Mary’s Center: 2333 Ontario Road NW, Washington, DC 20009.  Phone: 202-483-8196

Washington Hospital Center: 110 Irving Street NW, Washington, DC 20010  Phone: 202-877-7000

Holy Cross Hospital: 1500 Forest Glen Road, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910  Phone: 301-754-7000

Mobile Medical Care: 9309 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda, Maryland  Phone: 301-493-2400

Alexandria Neighborhood Health Center: 3804 Executive Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia  22305: 703-519-1725

Housing Assistance and Shelters

Washington, DC
Centro Maria: 650 Jackson Street NE, Washington, DC: 202-635-1697. For young women studying and/or working, affordable accommodations in a secure and friendly environment

DC Emergency Shelter Hotline, United Planning Organization (UPO): Phone: (202) 399-7093  Toll Free: (800) 535-7252
This is a gate keeping and transportation service for District residents seeking homeless shelter services. UPO manages hourly totals of the number of shelter beds available for both singles and families. UPO operates hypothermia vans that respond to individuals and families in need of immediate shelter during the winter months.

House of Ruth – Madison Emergency Shelter –  for single women experiencing domestic violence: 651 10th Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20002: 202-547-2600. For families: 202-347-2777

N St. Village – For single women 18 and over: 1333 N Street NW, Washington, DC: 202-939-2076. After 4pm: 202-387-5464

SOME (So Others Might Eat)  SOME provides transitional housing for single adults and families.  These programs offer clients a safe, supportive living environment where they can address the issues that led them to become homeless.  Office address:  71 ‘O’ Street, NW  Washington, DC  20001  Phone: 202.797.8806

The Prince George’s County Department of Social Services provides information, assistance and referrals to County residents who are facing homelessness or an eviction. If you need information about Section 8 and other County housing options, please call the Department of Housing & Community Development at 301-883-5501 or go to Housing & Community Development.

If you are facing eviction or foreclosure, you can call the Department of Social Services Homelessness Prevention Program at (301) 909-6362. This program provides: 

  • Screening of applicants to determine eligibility
  • Interviewing and assessment
  • Counseling, information and referral
  • Landlord and tenant mediation
  • Follow-up and linkages to other available resources
  • On-going community outreach and training through the Community Outreach Program (COP).

You may be eligible to receive financial help to pay your rent or mortgage if you are faced with a crisis that may result in an eviction, foreclosure or homelessness. You can also get help by calling the following organizations:

  • Catholic Charities in Forestville (301) 568-9529
  • Community Ministries, Seat Pleasant (301) 499-2319
  • Laurel Advocacy & Referral in Laurel (301) 776-0442
  • United Communities Against Poverty (UCAP) in Capitol Heights at (301) 322-5700.

Virginia Williams Family Resource Center – Primary referral office for shelter and housing assistance: 25 M Street SW, Washington, DC: 202-863-1370.

Information on Cold Emergency Alerts

A Cold Emergency Alert is called when the temperature falls, or is forecast to fall, to 15˚F or below including wind chill, or 20˚F, including wind chill, and one or more of the following conditions exists:

  • Steady precipitation for 60 consecutive minutes
  • Snow accumulation of 3 inches or more
  • Other meteorological conditions or threats as determined by HSEMA

Under a Cold Emergency, additional services and supports are put in place to protect homeless residents beyond what is provided in the Winter Plan during a Hypothermia Alert. These additional measures are put in place to ensure all residents, workers and visitors are protected from extreme cold weather to prevent illness, injury, and death.

To request support for DC residents who are homeless and on the street now, contact the Shelter Hotline at at this email or call, (202) 399-7093, 211, or 1(800) 535-7252 (for toll-free calls from a pay phone).

Pets should be brought indoors during hypothermia alerts and extreme cold weather. To report cruelty, neglect, and animal emergencies 24 hours a day, call the Washington Humane Society at (202) 723-5730.

Know Your Rights

Do you know your rights? These easy-to-use resources were created by the ACLU so you can have your rights at your fingertips.

Immigration Agent (ICE) visits

Demonstration or Protest

Immigration Status

Anti-Muslim Discrimination

Youth Encounters with Police

Searches and Warrants

Legal Aid Clinics

Ayuda Legal Services: Immigration Law Consulations
DC Office: 6925 B Willow Street NW
Washington, DC 20012

Virginia Office: 2755 Hartland Road, Suite 100
Falls Church, VA 22043
Hours: Consultations are held every Thursday morning and require an appointment.

Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Washington
Catholic Charities Legal Network
924 G St., NW
Washington, DC 20004
PhoneL 202-350-4305 | 202-772-4325 (En Español)
Immigration Legal Services also available at four walk-in intake locations available throughout the region
Phone: 202-772-4352
*You do not need to be Catholic to use these services

Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington
Hogar Immigrant Services
6301 Little River Turnpike
Suite 300, Alexandria, VA  22312
Phone: 703-534-9805
General office hours: Monday–Thursday, 9am- 5pm
*You do not need to be Catholic to use these services

Columbus Community Legal Services Catholic University
3602 John McCormack Rd. NE
Washington, D.C. 20064
Phone: 202-319-6788
Paul Kurth; Managing Director Email:
Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia
Main Office:  1331 H Street, NW Suite 350
Washington, DC 20005
Phone:  202.628.1161
Initial Interview Hours: Mondays 12:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Thursdays 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

THE “BIG CHAIR” – SE: The Anacostia Professional Building
2041 Martin Luther King, Jr., Ave., SE Suite 201
Washington, D.C. 20020
Initial Interview Hours: Mondays 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Neighborhood Legal Services Program (NLSP)
680 Rhode Island Ave, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: Call 202-832-NLSP (6577) or come to one of our three neighborhood offices for assistance.
Intake Hours for New Cases: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 10:00 am- 3:00 pm

Suicide and Crisis Hotlines

For suicide prevention and emotional crisis (when you feel you can’t go on) let someone know your pain; crisis counselors are waiting for  your call.

USA National Suicide  Hotlines – Toll-free, 24 hours, 7 days a week: 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK

Washington DC Department of Human Services
Access HelpLine 1-888-7WE-HELP or Suicide Hotline 1-888-793-4357

Maryland Community Services Locator
Crisis Intervention 2-1-1 Maryland
Phone: 2-1-1

Prince George ‘s  Community Crisis Services: 301-864-7161; 301-927-4500

Montgomery County Hotline: 240-777-4000

Virginia  Suicide Hotline

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Programs (SNAP)

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is the new name for the federal Food Stamp Program.  Households typically have to meet income standards to qualify for benefits, applications processes vary state, and information and links to resources are listed below.

Washington, DC

The Districts’ SNAP program helps many low-income residents and families buy the food they need for good health. You can apply for benefits by completing a State application form. Benefits are provided on an electronic card that is used like an ATM card and accepted at most grocery stores and some farmers’ markets.

Most households do not have a resource limit. Some households that include a person who is disabled or who is age 60 or older may have only up to $3,250 in resources.  Certain resources are not counted, such as a home and lot.  Also, the resources of people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or benefits under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program are not countable.


The Maryland Department of Human Services utilizes an online system, myDHR, for residents to apply for benefits and services online, monitor the status of your cases, update important account information, and more.

Applicants must file an application and be interviewed. All financial and technical eligibility factors must be met prior to issuance of benefits. Some people who have little or no money qualify for benefits food right away. They must only have an interview and verify identity.

File an application with your Local Department of Social Services. Apply in person at local departments. You may also file an application by mail, fax or to apply online, go to


Administered through the Virginia Department of Social Services, a SNAP account can be established for eligible households and automatic deposits are made into the account each month. To access the account, recipients will receive an EBT Card, which will debit the account each time eligible food items are purchased. A secret Personal Identification Number (PIN) is required to use the card.  SNAP can be used like cash to buy eligible food items from authorized retailers. Authorized retailers will display either the Quest logo or a picture of a Virginia EBT card.

Screening for Eligibility & Applying:
Option 1: Screen for eligibility and/or apply online through CommonHelp
Option 2: Bypass eligibility screening and submit an application manually. Fill out an “Application for Benefits” from the forms section on this page and return it to your local department of social services.

Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)

Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides cash assistance to needy families with dependent children when available resources do not fully address the family’s needs and while preparing program participants for independence through work. Adults with dependent children applying for or receiving TANF must meet financial and technical eligibility requirements. 

Conditions of eligibility include cooperation with child support, participation in work activities and compliance with substance abuse provisions. Earned and unearned income cannot exceed the benefit level paid for the assistance unit size and assets are limited to $2,000.00. Sanctions may be imposed for program noncompliance.

General Program Requirements

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the District of Columbia, either pregnant or responsible for a child under 19 years of age, a US national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident, have low or very low income, and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed.

Transportation Resources

Need help getting from one place to another? Looking for medical  transportation options? Bus, train, and Metro information is close at hand!



Community Transportation  Association of America

Washington Metropolitan Area  Transportation Authority

Metropolitan Washington Commuter Connection

Washington/Virginia  Commuting Options


Maryland Transit Administration

Prince George’s County

Montgomery County


Virginia Department of  Rail and Public Transportation

Veterans Resources

Community Resource and Referral Center (CRRC) for Veterans located nearby on Franklin ST N.E.  The resources for veterans are abundant, including access to tuition and education assistance.

For more information, please contact Dr. Karen Gerlach at 202-884-9203 or via e-mail at



Getting to Campus

Directions to Campus

Parking on Campus

Campus Map

Shuttle from Metro


Campus Tours & Open Houses

Prospective students can request a campus tour by calling 800-492-6882. Learn More

Online Campus Tour

Office of Admissions

Events at Trinity

Meeting & Conference Rentals

Room Rentals

Trinity Center

Calendar of Events

Fitness Center

Brookland residents: learn about discounted memberships at the Trinity Center.

 - Current Fitness Classes

 - Facilities


CAS Programs

EDU Programs

NHP Programs

SPS Programs

BGS Programs

Academic Life


Student Life