Public Relations Intern
The United Planning Organization (UPO) – www.upo.org – the designated community action agency for Washington, DC, was established December 10, 1962 to plan, coordinate, and implement human services programs for low-income residents in the Nation’s Capital. For over 50 years, UPO has been in the forefront of the war on poverty, serving as the catalyst for economic security and growth for all Washington, DC residents.
UPO seeks an intern who is eager to be an “intrapreneur”. We value new ideas, professional drive, and curiosity. You must be eager to learn and contribute on a variety of levels. As an intern you will own a list of projects and will have concrete deliverables by the end of the internship period. This position assists with the Communications and Community Engagement Division’s day-to-day operations. Specifically, UPO seeks a talented and energetic development intern to:
- Understand traditional and new media and how it works;
- Have a sound understanding of current events, pop culture, and trends;
- Exhibit strong writing, editing and communication skills;
- Be able to conduct traditional and online research;
- Be social media savvy; and
- Demonstrate a passion and understanding for public relations.
The Public Relations Intern will work to reestablish a strong and positive relationship with its customers, donors, and partners and with the D.C. community at large by developing relationships with online local and hyper local media outlets, websites, and blogs. This intern will be responsible for building relationships with community organizations and partners throughout the District that mesh well with UPO’s branding strategy. The ideal candidate is a self-motivator who enjoys keeping up with industry best practices for online and offline public relations, and keeps overall objectives in sight while remaining detail-oriented.
- Media outreach and pitching via phone and email;
- Build and maintain media lists;
- Utilize company’s social media as an effective public relations tool;
- Maintain UPO’s social media presence;
- Create press releases and distribute to different media outlets;
- Track, measure, and record media messaging and online engagement;
- Attend community events or meetings with potential targets;
- Maintain up-to-date, detailed competitor and market analysis;
- Write and edit unique and engaging content for company blogs, guest blogs and newsletters
- Experience working in a public relations, marketing, or communications shop;
- Excellent writing, editing, and grammar skills;
- Experience using many difference forms of social media;
- Express a passion for the nonprofit industry and have a business sensibility;
- Be able to represent the United Planning Organization in a professional manner;
- Quick learner, self-motivated, and able to multi task on multiple projects simultaneously;
- Possess great research and critical thinking skills; and
- Ideally major in public relations, mass communications, nonprofit management, English or a related discipline.
What You Will Gain:
- Visibility into the inner workings of a large, nonprofit organization;
- Exposure to public relations strategies and how to execute different phases a PR program;
- Communicating and building relationships with potential community partners;
- Opportunity to curate and publish relevant content for UPO’s s entire suite of programs and service offerings; and
- The opportunity to enhance and increase the visibility of a human service agency doing great work for great people in need.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.