Highlights of the New BS in Accounting Degree:
- The program is designed to meet both the DC and MD Undergraduate degree requirements (BS) for the CPA exam
- Our program will have a strong focus on ethics, business law, and regulatory knowledge (Sarbanes- Oxley, etc)
- The curriculum requires forensic accounting and will have other electives that prepare students to be Certified Fraud Examiners
- “Unlike the broader economy, joblessness isn’t a problem in accounting and finance, said Paul McDonald, senior executive director with Robert Half. Depending on the position, unemployment among finance professionals is between 2% and 4.1%, with some companies leaving finance positions vacant for three to five months because they can’t find the talent they seek to fill the role. It’s a good time to be a certified public accountant at a big audit firm who is looking to change careers, McDonald said. CPA candidates are the “hottest” candidates today, McDonald said.” Murphy, M. (2012, October25). CFO Salaries Expected to Rise 3.6% Next Year: Report. The Wall Street Journal, para. 4.
- Accounting is a top 20 industry in DC and is expected to have continued job growth over the next 15 years
- The final year is designed to include a semester long externship in the fall that continues into a capstone experience in the spring
Want more information? Check out http://www.trinitydc.edu/catalog-13-14/accounting/