Title: Research Analyst, Initiative for a Competitive Inner City
Business Unit: Research and Advisory Group
Location: Boston, MA
Date: September 1, 2013 (negotiable)
The Initiative for a Competitive Inner City (ICIC) is a national not-for profit organization founded in 1994 by Harvard Business School Professor Michael Porter to promote business-led economic development in America’s inner cities through private sector engagement that leads to job, income and wealth creation for local residents. ICIC brings together business and civic leaders to drive innovation and action, transform thinking, and accelerate inner city business growth. Through its research, ICIC highlights the competitive advantages of inner cities and offers programs designed to drive private capital into businesses in inner cities.
ICIC recently launched a strategic alliance with Next Street, a merchant bank that changes what is possible for businesses and nonprofit organizations in America’s cities, delivering investment and expertise that transform organizations and communities. By co-locating together, Next Street and ICIC are better equipped to advance their own missions and drive economic prosperity in the inner city.
At ICIC you will work with talented, creative and committed professionals. Our unique business model gives us the ability to implement our research and turn theory into practice. We do this work in a collaborative culture dedicated to excellence and innovation.
ICIC is seeking a high-performing Analyst who will work closely with senior research and advisory staff to support research projects on urban economic development and business growth issues, including data management and analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducting primary research using surveys, interviews and qualitative analysis
- Performing quantitative analysis involving large data sets
- Support managing large databases and datasets
- Compiling and synthesizing data and information from public and private sources, including literature reviews using secondary data sources
- Basic mapping and data visualization using GIS software
- Preparing reports and presentation materials for external and internal audiences
- Bachelor’s degree with strong academic performance in Economics, Statistics, Business, Urban Planning or a similar discipline
- Demonstrated experience developing and supporting surveys and analyzing results
- Demonstrated experience conducting interviews and synthesizing findings
- Demonstrated experience using and analyzing major public data sets, including but not limited to various Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, and Bureau of Economic Analysis datasets
- Strong analytical skills, including advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and familiarity with Microsoft Access and GIS. Experience using Stata and SQL is desired
- Ability to work collaboratively with peers across business units
- Demonstrated ability to work on projects independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including proficiency with Word and Powerpoint. Basic Adobe Creative Suite skills are also desired
A successful candidate will be passionate about the work that we do at ICIC and passionate about research and analytics. They will be knowledgeable about economic development issues. They will be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, have the ability to think beyond the task at hand and take initiative to ensure a project is completed successfully. They will be willing to work beyond conventional hours and will be comfortable working in a flat, multi-disciplinary structure. We are looking for someone with a demonstrated capacity for teamwork.
ICIC is the right place for you if you want to work in a dynamic and professional environment in an organization that is committed to improving the lives of inner city residents. You will be exposed to unique research opportunities and work directly with our clients across the country. You career progress will be determined by your contribution to the organization’s success as a whole.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with the candidate’s level of experience. This is a full-time position based in our office in Dudley Square in Boston, MA. ICIC is an equal opportunity employer.
Senior Consultant, Research & Advisory Practice
Initiative for a Competitive Inner City
Office – 617-238-3008 x383 | Cell – 401-580-3321 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our website: www.icic.org