Job Title:Budget Analyst
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration
Job Announcement Number:PATHOA-2013-0003
|$42,209.00 to $67,114.00 / Per Year|
|Tuesday, June 25, 2013 to Tuesday, July 02, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Monday to Friday. – Recent Graduates Program|
|1 vacancy – Washington, DC, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Recent Graduates from qualifying institutions having completed an academic program within the preceding two years. (NOTE: Veterans who were precluded by their military service obligation from meeting this requirement will have up to six years to apply.) This vacancy is also being posted under announcements 24GR-2013-0023 and 6GR-2013-0016.|
Relocation expenses will not be paid. This position is located in Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA), Office of the Administrator (OA). The program duration is one year and upon successful completion of program requirements, the incumbent may be converted to a term, career, or career conditional position.
The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity. The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Works with supervisory and management officials and MBS Budget Services colleagues in planning, coordinating, and conducting budget execution activities of the agency.
- Recommends internal policies, programs, and procedures governing budgetary execution functions related to the agency’s programs.
- Prepares various reports covering expenses and obligations, as required by the supervisor and higher agency officials, and coordinates/conducts status of funds reviews monthly.
- Prepares agency’s allocations based on approved apportionments and allotments and all special limitations imposed by statutes, the department, Office of Management and Budget (OMB), or Congress.
- Performs in-depth, rigorous analyses of budget requests by employing techniques, such as cost-benefit analysis, program trade-offs, and exploring alternative methods of funding.
- Monitors the use and rate of expenditure of budgeted funds through continuing dialogue with program officials and their staffs, review of written documents, and examination of accounting records.
- Performs special assignments delegated by the supervisor for such activities as the preparation of unique reports and/or data requested by higher-level agency management, department, OMB, or Congress.
- Provides technical advice in the use of the FMMI financial management system and addresses related questions and inputs data into the system and retrieves data and reports for use in addressing budgetary/financial question and issues.
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
RECENT GRADUATES PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible, applicants must meet one of the following requirements;
- Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two (2)years; OR
- Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution on or after December 27, 2010, and before July 10, 2012 (eligibility under this provision expires July 10, 2014); OR
- Individuals who, due to military service obligation, were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduates Program during any portion of the 2-year eligibility period described above shall have a full 2-year period of eligibility upon release or discharge from active duty. This eligibility period cannot extend more than 6 years from the date on which the requirements for the academic course of study were met.
IN ADDITION TO MEETING THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS LISTED ABOVE: Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
GS-07: One full year of graduate education in accounting, business, finance, public administration, economics, or statistics; or
Superior Academic Achievement: To qualify based on superior academic achievement, you must have completed the requirements for a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution AND must meet certain GPA requirements. For more details click: Superior Academic Achievement
GS-09: Master’s or equivalent graduate degree or two full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree in accounting, business, finance, public administration, economics, or statistics.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on Superior Academic Achievement.
This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-7/9 GRADE LEVELS
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors. Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Experience in analytical reasoning and in applying skills to the identification, analysis, and conceptualization of budgetary problems and development of alternative solutions.
- Experience identifying, analyzing, and resolving a wide range of budgetary problems, as it relates to development of alternative methods of funding and formulation of budget estimates.
- Experience conducting and implementing a wide range of administrative and analytical duties in the execution of an agency’s budget.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-7/9 GRADE LEVELS
Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Administrative and Management Positions.
- Transcripts including the date your degree was conferred is required. Applications will not be considered without this documentation.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans’ documents required to receive veterans’ preference and/or to document eligibility for individuals who, due to military service obligation, were precluded from applying
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- If selected, official transcripts will be required prior to entrance on duty.
- A Pathways Participant Agreement will be required if you are selected for a position. The agreement must be signed by all applicable parties prior to entrance on duty.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Work requires sitting, walking, standing, and carrying light items, such as accounting reports.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans’ preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.
To preview questions please click here.
This position does not confer all of the benefits usually associated with the competitive service such as tenure and transfer and privileges. However, the selectee will be entitled to sick and annual leave accrual. Eligibility for retirement benefits, health insurance and life insurance is determined on a case by case basis.
- More than one selection may be made if another vacancy occurs within 90 days of the issuance of the certification of eligibles.
- Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc) should contact: USDA’s TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TDD).
- For information on filing a complaint of discrimination, click: Filing a Complaint
HOW TO APPLY:
A complete on-line application will require the submission of the following:
- Supporting Documentation which may be required (See links under Additional Documents for more information)
- DD-214 and other Veterans’ documents
- Proof of graduation
- College Transcripts showing the date your degree was conferred – MUST be in English
For instructions on using the on-line system click: APPLYING ON-LINE
For instructions on submitting documents click: SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION
Click on the following links to see if the supporting documentation is applicable to you:
- College Transcripts or List of Coursework – MUST be English (Key Requirement and/or Education Substitution)
- Foreign Degree Evaluation (Key Requirement and/or Education Substitution)
- DD-214 (Member 4 Copy) and other Veterans’ documents (Veterans Preference)
Critical Submission Requirements and Reminders
- Help in applying online is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Central Time at the number listed in the Contact information section.
- All application materials and supplemental documentation will be accepted until midnight Eastern Time on the closing date.
- Application and supporting documentation will not be accepted via e-mail.
- Submit documents which are clear and legible. Illegible documents cannot be used for qualification or verification purposes.
- Due to the high volume of applicants, we are unable to confirm receipt of supporting documentation. If faxing, you should retain confirmation of a successful fax transmission including the number of pages successfully transmitted as proof of submission.
- If a document is resubmitted, it replaces the previous submission, which means the previous document is no longer available to the human resources office. If you are adding to, rather than replacing a previous submission, you must fax and/or upload both the old document and the new document.
- If you are using the system generated fax cover sheet, please fax to the
Applicants who cannot apply on-line must request a hard copy application packet from the Agency Contact listed in the vacancy announcement. Resumes and/or supporting documentation alone will not be considered without the inclusion of a hard copy application packet.
AGENCY CONTACT INFO:
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check the status of your application on-line 24 hours a day through USAJOBS. Status updates will be available after 2-3 weeks. For instructions on checking your application status click : Checking My Application Status No additional correspondence will be sent.