Related: Uncategorized

A note from the Chief

Hi Campus Community,

I am settling into life here as the new Chief and learning much about our campus and surrounding community. You’ll learn quickly about me that I am fairly direct and no-nonsense.  I take my job in protecting each of you and our community very seriously.  I need your help!  Take security on campus seriously; wear your ID, be kind to the guards and officers at the gates and patrolling campus when they approach you; and be respectful of others and their property. Stop into DPS to see me when you can or write me an email.  I am always happy to talk with students and employees about any concerns you have or to come to your residence hall, office, or class to provide information on most any safety or security topic.

On a different note, I have observed in my few weeks here crime occurring off campus, but near enough that I wanted to share it with you.

Last week a student parked on Michigan Avenue had their vehicle broken into during the daytime hours.  The person smashed out the glass then took property from our student’s car. There were no witnesses to this smash and grab nor any known suspects at this time.  We also learned of a report of a robbery at gunpoint and physical assault of another student in the 3900 block 9th Street NE, which is near the Brookland CUA Metro. It is unknown if there is a suspect description in that terrible crime.  Metropolitan Police Department has responded to both incidents.

While Trinity enjoys a very low crime rate on campus due to our security procedures, I want to provide you with some tips to help increase your safety while off campus.

On campus, contact the Department of Public Safety (DPS) if you are the victim of any crime, or require EMS or the fire department. We can be reached by dialing (202) 884-9111. 

I cannot stress how important it is to call DPS directly so that we can help facilitate response on campus.

Program DPS in your cell phone so you have our number handy!

If you see something, say something!

Call 911 for police, fire or EMS if you are off campus.

HOW CAN I PREVENT AUTO BREAK-INS?

• Try to park in well lit areas if parking at night.
  • Do not leave valuables in plain view. Valuables include items such as handbags or other bags, cash, wallets, GPS devices, MP3 players, DVD players, cell phones, purses, computers, weapons and compact discs.
  • If you must leave valuables in the car, it is best to lock them in the truck.
  • Report suspicious activity immediately. This includes suspicious persons and vehicles in the area. Try to have a good physical description and car description/registration number to report to police when you call.

If you are a victim of a vehicle break-in, have your registration information as well as a detailed listing of all items stolen with serial numbers available for police. This will assist in the possible recovery of stolen items. Report the crime as soon as you are aware; do not wait. Physical evidence, such as latent fingerprints, can be destroyed or contaminated.

How Can I Protect Myself FROM ROBBERY?

• Be aware of your surroundings. Walk with a purpose, head up, and looking around. Stay in lighted areas at night.
  • Stay with the crowd — there is safety in numbers.
  • If you carry a purse, carry it close to your body, like a football player carries a football. Do not place the strap across your body or over your shoulder. When the robber grabs your purse, you may be pulled along with the robber until the strap breaks and you are injured.
  • Don’t leave a purse on a counter or in a shopping cart unattended.
  • Be conscious of people just “hanging around” anywhere, especially near pay phones, public rest rooms, building entrances and garages.
  • Notify the police of strangers who are hanging around your home, apartment or place of business for no apparent reason.
  • Vary your routine — don’t do the same thing at exactly the same time every day.
  • Be aware of people around you when you are using your automatic teller machine (ATM) card. When possible, use an ATM that is located inside a business such as a grocery store.
  • Lock your car doors when your vehicle is unattended even if you will only be out of it for a “minute.” This action may prevent a robber from hiding in your back seat awaiting your return.
  • While driving, keep your vehicle doors locked.
  • If you are walking and a vehicle is following you, reverse directions or cross the street.
  • If someone acts suspiciously, looks at you closely or follows you, head for bright lights and people and call the police.
  • Carry a whistle or other noise making device. Use it to call attention to yourself if threatened.

***************************************

Adrienne Meador Murray

Director & Chief of Police

Department of Public Safety

Trinity Washington University

125 Michigan Avenue NE

Washington, DC 20017

202-884-9100 office direct

202-884-9101 fax

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Connect with Trinity:

Contact the School of Professional Studies at 202-884-9620 or by fax at 202-884-9632.
Interested in attending Trinity? Please visit our Office of Admissions.