Somerset DC – Marketing and Communications
This is a great opportunity for an externally oriented person with strong presentation skills to learn to expand outreach to families in Washington DC’s southeast communities.
Somerset Prep Academy is a proposed middle/high school in Ward 8 of Washington DC. It will be operated as a non-profit charter school organization dedicated to helping all children receive a high quality education. The school will serve students in grades 6-8 in its first year in 2012 and grow into a high school over time. It is modeled on the Somerset schools in Florida where over 90% graduate from high school.
The mission of Somerset Preparatory Academy Public Charter School is to:
- Prepare students to be successful in college;
- Equip students with intellectual, emotional, social, and ethical skills to maximize their unique individual potential; and
- Form confident, self-directed, and responsible life-long learners who take an active role in improving the local and global community.
To build awareness and further the impact of our work, Somerset DC is seeking a part-time marketing assistant to help drive community outreach. The staff member would assist in developing relationships in the community, distribute marketing materials, and prepare presentations. We are looking for an enthusiastic individual with strong interpersonal skills and who has an interest in local education issues. We are looking for someone who will be excited to assist with efforts in telling the Somerset DC story to a broad audience. We welcome a creative mind who seeks marketing experience and can add new ideas to this assignment. It is important that the staff member be a self-starter and be comfortable working independently.
- Develop relationships with community organizations and families and help explain the Somerset DC college-preparatory program.
- Keep supporters updated through interim reports, phone calls, and visits.
- Assist with the distribution of flyers, postcards, and information at community events.
- Encourage family and community involvement in the creation of the school.
This part-time position will be flexible from December1 through March 1. The office is based in the Anacostia community near the Anacostia Metro Station but much of the work will be done remotely in the community. We are looking for someone who can work various hours during the week as the schedule often changes based on the availability of the community organizations and events. We will do our best to accommodate your schedule.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Part-Time Marketing Assistant” by December 14, 2012. In your cover letter, please address your interest in working with a middle school college preparatory education, and your experience or study in marketing or outreach in another school activity, community work, another job, your personal life, etc.