Self-Help has an opening for a Human Resources Vice President in our Oakland, CA office. Please see the full job description and application instructions below.
Founded in 1980, Self-Help is a community development lender that creates and protects ownership and economic opportunity for all, especially people of color, women, rural communities and low-wealth families. It has provided over $6 billion in financing to help more than 74,000 low-wealth borrowers buy homes, start and build businesses, and strengthen community resources. Self-Help’s largest effort in California is to further expand its low-income designated credit union, Self-Help Federal Credit Union. Chartered in 2008, it has completed 7 mergers and launched an innovative branch model specifically serving previously un-banked low income families. With 20 branches in the Bay Area, Central Valley and San Gabriel Valley, more than $400mm in assets, almost 50,000 members and more than 150 employees, Self-Help FCU is the fastest growing credit union in history. For more information, go to www.self-helpfcu.org and www.self-help.org.
Self-Help’s affiliate, the Center for Responsible Lending, researches and advocates for state and national legislation to address predatory lending and other abusive financial practices and policies.
Self-Help and the Center for Responsible Lending are national organizations based out of Durham, North Carolina with regional offices in North Carolina, Washington DC, and California. Nationally and internationally recognized as a leader in community development lending, Self-Help is one of twelve nonprofits featured in Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High Impact Nonprofits.
Unique opportunity for an experienced human resource leader to manage the HR function for a rapidly growing, mission driven non-profit financial institution. The California HR VP will be accountable to both the California Managing Director and the organization-wide EVP of Human Resources. The CA HR VP will lead the CA HR group and work collaboratively with the NC home office HR leadership to support all of the HR needs of the CA operation, including:
- HR Strategy Development
- Culture Change and Integration
- Leadership Development
- Workforce Planning and Employment
- Employee Relations
- Payroll Services
- Benefits Administration
- Collaborate with key staff to create HR policies and business processes
- Implement annual Performance Management Process
- Manage full-cycle recruitment, including collaborating with managers to design selection processes, create job descriptions, and track recruiting activities
- Provide employee relations support regarding performance issues, complaints, etc.
- Coordinate and/or deliver on-boarding, orientation, job training and professional development programs or options
- Ensure that all new hires, terminations, status changes, etc. are maintained in HRIS
- Coordinate with NC HR staff to ensure effective management of Payroll and Benefits functions in CA
- Manage and maintain IIPP and workplace safety programs
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Organizational and Management Development, Business Administration or related discipline
- 10 years of broad, progressively more responsible HR and Organizational Development experience, at least 2 of which have been located in California
- Extensive experience with employee relations and recruiting
- Knowledge of employment laws and best practices
- Prior experience with HRIS
- Available for frequent travel (50%+) to offices throughout CA
- A commitment to Self-help’s mission and a desire to make a difference in a racially and socially diverse organization
- Collaborative work style
- Bilingual (English and Spanish)
- PHR or SPHR-CA certification highly desired
- Experience in nonprofit, credit union, or banking industry
- Knowledge of Targeted Selection behavioral interviewing techniques
- Master’s Degree in Business, Human Resources or related field
- Frequent driving moderate duration
- Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and exert force of up to 10 pounds
Competitive nonprofit salary, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter explaining why you are a fit for this position to email@example.com. Please include position title as subject of email.
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, class, age, religion, disability that can be accommodated, marital status, ancestry, nationality, family status or sexual orientation.