NCB CAPITAL IMPACT HAS AN IMMEDIATE NEED FOR A LOAN ASSOCIATE IN ITS OAKLAND, CA OFFICE
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES CAN SEND RESUME TO ESTEWART@NCB.COOP
|The purpose of this position is to analyze new exposures to existing and new borrowers as assigned. The candidate for the Loan Associate position should have previous basic financial analysis and some transaction underwriting experience, with formal and informal credit training and exposure to different types of deals and markets. The Loan Associate will gain sufficient credit and market experience to anticipate what the questions and risks are that need to be solved for and result in an appropriately structured transaction. Prior experience working with or underwriting a mix of for profit and not-for-profit businesses, particularly charter schools, community health centers, retail grocers and affordable housing organizations will be helpful but not necessary.|
|NCB Capital Impact’s markets and mission are unique in the level of patience and assistance borrowers may need in understanding the technicalities and requirements of borrowing. Passion for the organization’s mission and flexibility, combined with traditional financial analysis experience, will be needed to carry out the key tasks and responsibilities of this position. Since this position does not require a high degree of prior underwriting experience, Loan Associates will be provided with significant training and mentoring opportunities to help develop their skills.
1. New Loan Analysis (40%): Loan Associate will be proficient, or become proficient, in spreading financial statements in Moody’s, developing financial projections, and effectively communicating, in both written and verbal format, the assumptions and result of the analysis of financial performance, condition, cash flow and ability to repay per the loan terms. The Loan Associate, through some assistance and guidance, will also be able to identify loan risks and mitigants, evaluate borrower management, describe the scope of the project and its collateral. The Loan Associate should be able to accompany senior staff on site visits, be involved in borrower discussions, and attend appropriate conferences to become knowledgeable in the markets in which NCB Capital Impact lends.
2. Current Customer Reviews (40%): Loan Associate should understand the NCB Capital Impact risk rating system and be able to, with some assistance as required, be able to complete annual loan reviews. Thorough reviews require knowledge of the market segment, awareness of local political and economic environment, discussions with borrower, and regular calls/follow-ups with the borrower throughout the year.
3. Covenant Testing (10%): Loan Associate will be responsible for evaluating borrower compliance with financial covenants set forth in loan documents on a quarterly and/or annual basis. To do this, the Loan Associate will need to understand the technicalities of calculating compliance and the significance of compliance or non-compliance.
4. Customer Interaction and Reporting (5%): Loan Associate will interact with customers to effectively communicate the needs of NCB Capital Impact and answer the questions of the borrower. The Loan Associate will need to be able to document calls, amendments, etc. in the Lotus Notes system and make sure that servicers receive appropriate information for covenant tracking, etc.
5. Strategic and tactical planning (5%). Participate in and contribute to strategic and tactical planning for NCB Capital Impact’s market sectors.
|A bachelor’s degree in a business related field (accounting, finance, etc.), a working knowledge of computer business applications (word processing and spreadsheet), and an affinity for NCB Capital Impact’s mission and markets. 3-5 years of relevant hands-on
experience in credit underwriting, particularly in a CDFI setting, a plus, but not necessary.