Director, Reproductive Health Program
The National Partnership for Women & Families is a nonprofit, nonpartisan advocacy organization dedicated to promoting access to quality health care, fairness in the workplace, and policies that help women and men balance their work and family responsibilities. The National Partnership is seeking an experienced professional to serve as the Director of our Reproductive Health program to lead the organization’s government relations work related to reproductive health.
The National Partnership believes it takes vigorous, skilled, and deliberate communications and advocacy with policymakers, the public, and the media to ensure that women’s access to quality and affordable reproductive health services and information is adequately addressed through our national public policies and programs, both in the existing public health infrastructure and in the broader private health care market as health reform is implemented. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing leadership and strategic direction for the National Partnership’s Reproductive Health and Rights Program, including piloting reproductive health advocacy and public education efforts at the federal level.
- Identifying and implementing legislative strategy for policies that advance the National Partnership’s mission. Serving as the organization’s lead lobbyist/advocate on these policies to Congress and the Administration, including developing and maintaining strong contacts with federal officials and staff. Educating and briefing congressional staff, members of Congress and agency staff through in-person meetings, written communications, and phone calls.
- Tracking and analyzing relevant reproductive health related activity on Capitol Hill and in the executive branch. Monitoring state reproductive health-related activity.
- Researching, writing, editing, and updating fact sheets, talking points, letters to policymakers, staff memos, testimony, and other key policy and advocacy documents.
- Representing the National Partnership to progressive partners and in relevant coalitions, and in the media.
- Supervising the reproductive health program staff.
- Working with the organization’s Development team in creating and submitting grant proposals and reports.
- Assisting with the publication of the Women’s Health Policy Report, an email summary of reproductive health coverage in major media outlets distributed to 50,000+ subscribers 5 days per week.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced manager and a creative, self-motivated, strategic thinker. A JD degree and substantial legislative policy experience and/or direct lobbying experience at the state and/or national level is required. Experience and knowledge related to reproductive health policy is preferred. Excellent research, policy analysis, written and oral communications skills are required. Additionally, the ideal candidate will possess proven initiative and follow-through, the ability to work quickly and well under pressure, and a commitment to women’s health and rights.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience. Excellent benefits. Submit letter, resume, writing sample, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to Director, Reproductive Health Programs, National Partnership for Women & Families, 1875 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 650, Washington, DC 20009. Position will remain open until a qualified candidate is chosen.