Field Researcher, U.S. Financial Diaries Project
Locations (Multiple positions per location):
New York City (Brooklyn & Queens), NY; San Jose & Gilroy, CA; Cincinnati, OH; Newport, KY; eastern Mississippi
The US Financial Diaries – a joint project among the Financial Access Initiative of New York University, Bankable Frontier Associates, and the Center for Financial Services Innovation – is an in-depth study that aims to investigate the rich, complex and varied financial lives of low-income families across the United States. The goal is to use these insights in order to inform policy development that increases financial inclusion, connect to related research and inspire future research, and spark creative approaches to financial services design and delivery.
The study involves recruiting ~300 households across different parts of the United States starting in Sept 2011, and interviewing them twice monthly over 16 months (Nov 2011 – Feb 2013). We will track all cash inflows and outflows, along with formal and informal financial services used.
CFSI – the entity that will hire the field researchers – is looking for individuals who are passionate about the mission of the project, understand the lives of low-income communities, and are able to conduct the field interviews in one of the locations aforementioned. CFSI will hire multiple individuals as full-time contractors in each location.
– Participate in a 3 week long training in Boston, MA in Aug 2011 [all travel, accommodation, and food expenses will be covered]
– Recruit the study sample – approximately 32 families per field researcher in Sept and Oct 2011
– Interview ~32 households every 2 weeks over the course of 16 months, from Nov 2011-Feb 2013
– Document findings into an MS Access database
– Conduct other research exercises as needed
– Participate in local engagement activities as needed
– 1-2 years of experience in fieldwork research
– Experience working with low-income communities
– Proficient using a computer and Microsoft Office
– Attention to detail and ability to conduct accurate data entry
– Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, preferably in the social sciences
– Knowledge of the region where he/she is applying
– All candidates must be fluent in English
– There are multiple positions available within each site. Some positions only require fluency in English; others also require proficiency or fluency in an additional language, as listed below:
o New York: Fluent Spanish OR Proficient in at least one: Gujarati, Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali
o California: Fluent Spanish
Please submit your cover letter addressed to Nancy Castillo, along with your resume to HR@usiconsulting.com. Please include “Field Researcher” with the desired location in the subject title. The job posting expires on May 16th, 2011. However, late applications will be considered until May 20th, 2011.
The Center for Financial Services Innovation is the nation’s leading authority on financial services for underbanked consumers. Since 2004, its programs have focused on informing, connecting, and investing – gathering enhanced intelligence, brokering and supporting productive industry relationships, and fostering best‐in‐class products and strategies. CFSI works with leaders and innovators in the business, government and nonprofit sectors to transform the financial services landscape. www.cfsinnovation.com.
About the Financial Diaries
The research methodology for the study was previously used for studies in India, Bangladesh, and South Africa. http://www.financialdiaries.com/