Position Title: Program Director
Location: Washington, DC
Start Date: January 2011 or earlier
The World Cocoa Foundation (WCF) is a non-profit organization promoting social and economic development as well as environmental stewardship in cocoa-growing communities of Africa, Southeast Asia and the Americas. WCF implements, manages, and participates in programs at the grassroots level to help independent family farmers in 15 cocoa-producing nations around the world. WCF plays an important role as a convener of stakeholders and facilitates important partnerships for cocoa sustainability. The Foundation works in partnership with companies, governments, private foundations, international institutions, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), academia, and research institutes globally.
WCF seeks a Program Director to manage the WCF Program Team and oversee implementation of WCF’s program activities. He/she will report to the WCF President. Candidates must possess proven leadership, management, organizational and multi-cultural skills, as well as have a strong background in international development and business. He/she will be a dynamic self-starter capable of building and strengthening relationships among industry companies, donors, implementing partners as well as with government contacts both in the U.S. and host countries. Oral and written language skills in French or Spanish are preferred.
Experience with managing U.S. government, private foundation, and company funded projects is preferred. This position is full-time salaried, based on annual performance measurements. Salary level is dependent on level of experience. This position will be based in Washington, DC and offers a competitive benefits package. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- 10+ years’ experience managing and implementing business development/agriculture projects or programs
- 5+ years’ experience managing staff, program teams and consultants
- Understanding of commodity chains, particularly tree crops, desirable
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation
- Significant work experience in West Africa, Asia/Pacific, or the Americas; preferably cocoa-producing countries
- Experience and proven success in membership recruitment and business development
- Exceptional English writing, speaking and presentation skills; second language preferred in French or Spanish
- Track record of coordinating and managing private foundation or government funded regional-level projects and programs from start-up through final implementation
- Track record of developing and maintaining partnerships across stakeholder groups at country and regional levels (including private sector, government, non-governmental organizations, academic institutes, and donor agencies, etc.)
- Strong project management background, including management of finances
- Diversified experience working with private sector, government, non-governmental organizations, academic institutes, and donor environments
- Self-starter, ability to work in fast-paced, international work environment with minimal support infrastructure
- Oral and written language skills in French or Spanish are preferred.
- Degree in business, international development, agriculture or other-related field
- Frequent international travel to cocoa-producing regions (West Africa, Asia/Pacific and/or the Americas)
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Program & Operations Management
- Head the WCF Program Team, supervising a team of three to five staff, along with short-term consultants
- Supervise Program Team on daily basis; provide guidance on tasks, implementation, guidelines and procedures; coordinate the team’s organization of two Partnership Meetings per year for approximately 300 participants
- Oversee WCF portfolio of approximately 30 programs; coordinate Program Team to liaise with host governments, implementing partners and WCF member companies
- Review project reports and communications of Program Team, edit documents and advise accordingly to ensure deadlines are met
- Review and advise on program budgets and finances
- Design new programs as identified
- Coordinate WCF sub-committees that include communications, regional committees, and monitoring and evaluation
- Conduct frequent visits to program sites to support, monitor and evaluate implementing partner performance to ensure project activities and targets are achieved
- Liaise and coordinate with other, complementary programs in the field to leverage resources and lessons learned
Partnership Management & Development
- Membership outreach, including recruitment of new members and maintaining member relations
- Business Development, including outreach to prospects in both public and private sectors, proposal
writing, contract/grant closing and budgets
- Coordinate communications materials with consultant and edit all final WCF communications, including
website content, blog postings, letters, articles, quarterly newsletters, program books, membership and informational materials, etc.
- Represent WCF and its programs to government officials as well as in meetings, events, conferences, and workshops
- Miscellaneous duties, as requested by WCF President
How to Apply: Interested and eligible candidates are requested to e-mail their cover letter, résumé including salary requirements, and a one-page writing sample to: email@example.com no later than December 6, 2010. Please include “Program Director-Washington DC” in subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis to select a successful candidate.