Policy: Salary Advances
Date Issued: November 11, 2002
Date of Last Revision: May 8, 2006
Issued By: Office of the Vice President – Finance and Administration
The College recognizes the rare, extraordinary need for employees to receive salary advances for personal reasons. This Policy provides for the issuance of employee salary advances in rare, extraordinary emergencies.
This policy applies to all departments, insofar as their employees are eligible for salary advances. Eligible employees include full-time faculty and regular full-time and regular part-time staff.
Trinity College discourages the use of salary advances. In the event of a grave personal or medical family emergency, an exception will be considered for a regular employee with the following provisions:
- No more than one advance will be granted to any one employee in a given calendar year.
- The amount of the advance may not exceed the amount of the salary due to the employee at the time funds are advanced.
- Repayment must be made in full from the next regularly processed paycheck.
- Salary advance checks cannot be direct deposited because they are not generated during a regular payroll run.
- The request for the salary advance must be approved by Director of Human Resources.
- Exceptions to these provisions require the additional approval of the Vice President for Finance and Administration.
- Approved salary advances may only be issued by the Payroll Department.