The TEAS Nursing Entrance Exam
One of the criteria for formal acceptance into the Nursing Program is a successful completion of the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). The TEAS was designed to measure basic essential skills in the four academic subject areas of Reading, Math, Science, and English/Language Usage. These entry level skills were deemed important for nursing program applicants by a panel of nursing program curriculum experts.
It is strongly recommended that students not take the TEAS until the semester PRIOR to the semester of their projected entry into the Nursing Program.The basis for this recommendation is that the SPS Core Curriculum and the CAS General Education Requirements, as well as the pre-nursing courses were designed to prepare students with the knowledge necessary for successful completion of the TEAS and entry into the Nursing Program.
Registering and Preparing for the TEAS
- Only Trinity students may take the TEAS at Trinity. When checking in at the time of the exam, students must present their Trinity student ID.
- Students who take the TEAS after May 1, 2013:
- must take the exam at Trinity.
- must use their Trinity email address to create their account with ATI when registering for the exam.
- After taking the TEAS, students may not take it again for at least 30 days.
- Students may take the TEAS up to three times.
Registration for the TEAS is conducted through an on-line registration system. Visit the ATI website at www.atitesting.com. On the right side, click on “Register for the TEAS,” and follow the directions. Choose “Trinity Washington University” as the designated testing center. Be sure to register no later than 2 (two) days before your planned TEAS exam date.
We strongly recommend that students purchase the TEAS Study Manual to familiarize themselves with the contents of the exam. You can purchase the Study Manual as well as online practice assessments at this link: http://www.atitesting.com/onlinestore/productpage.aspx?code=61&isproduct=1.
Before you make arrangements to take the TEAS, please take some time to review the criteria below for formal acceptance into the Nursing Program, as well as visit Criteria for Acceptance into the Nursing Program in the Academic Catalog.
- Successful completion of ALL SPS Core Curriculum or CAS General Education Requirements and Pre-Nursing courses with a grade of “C” or higher
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.5
- Satisfactory score results on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) (students may take the TEAS up to three times)
Nursing Application Deadlines for Fall 2014 Admission
Monday, February 10, 2014, 4:00 PM – Deadline for students to submit nursing applications to their advisors
Thursday, March 13, 2014 - Welcome session for new nursing students
Monday, March 17, 2014 – First day of registration for Fall 2014 courses
- Students will be notified of their acceptance to the Nursing Program by the Nursing Program Director when all criteria for considering the application have been received and evaluated.
- Please direct your questions to Ms. Jemima Pierre in the Nursing Program Office (202-884-9670).
Upcoming TEAS Dates
Tuesday, July 1, 2014 – 1:00-5:00 PM – Main 242
Wednesday, August 6, 2014 – 5:00-9:00 PM – Main 242
Also planning two exam dates in September – exact dates and times TBD