NOTE: Moodle now has the ability to drag-and-drop files directly on to the main page of your course. This is a much quicker process than the previous version of navigating to the files saved on your computer.
However, if you prefer the previous method of navigating to a file, click here for the steps for adding files in a process similar to the previous version of Moodle.
- Login to Moodle and, in the “My Courses” block at the top of the right column, the click on the course to which you wish to add the file.
- Turn on the course editing functionality by either:
Clicking the “Turn editing on” button in the upper right corner on your course page.
Clicking the “Turn editing on” link in the “Administration” block (formerly the “Settings” block) in the left column of your course.
- If your browser window fills your entire screen, click the icon that looks like two boxes in the upper corner of your browser. NOTE: If you only see a single box, your browser is not maximized and you can skip this step.
- Open a file explorer window. NOTE: on most recent Windows operating systems, this is a ‘folder’ icon in your taskbar.
- Navigate to the file you wish to upload to Moodle in the file explorer window.
- Then click on it with your mouse, holding the left mouse button down, while you drag the file over to your Moodle page. When the file is where you would like it to be, let go of the mouse button, and the file will ‘drop’ into place.
- Moodle will process the file to copy it over. Depending on your file size, this may take a few seconds. Remember, the site-wide upload limit is 64MB.
- Once Moodle has processed the file, it has been successfully uploaded.
- The file will be uploaded with the name of the file, including its extension (like .docx or .pdf). You may wish to update that to reflect the appropriate name of the resource. To update the name, click on the gray pencil at the end of the file name.
- The text will become highlighted. At any point, you can click ‘Esc’ (Escape button) to exit/cancel the name update or ‘Enter’/ ‘Return’ to save your work.
- Rename your file. Click ‘Enter’ to save your work and exit the renaming feature.
- If your file is not in the week/topic where you wish it to be, you can also easily move it by using another drag-and-drop feature. Locate the gray plus sign with arrows, just to the left of the file icon.
- Click on the plus sign with arrows and drag the file to the location you prefer.
- When the file is where you would like it, simply release the mouse button and the file will ‘drop’ into place.