Moodle allows for individual user overrides and group overrides for quizzes. In the case of a student with a disability (verified by Disability Support Services) that needs double time, for example, on an exam, you set up an individual user override to extend the time allowed to take the quiz.
These overrides can also be used to allow a different number of quiz attempts, as well as a different open/close date/time windows.
Note: if you do not alter one or more of these settings, the settings will remain at the original quiz defaults. For example, if the quiz is closed to all students because the quiz’s original close date/time has passed and you do not adjust the override’s close date/time, even if you give a specific student a second attempt, they will not be able to access the quiz.
To an add a user override to your existing quiz:
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- Log on to Moodle and click on your course.
- Click on your quiz on the course homepage.
- From the quiz landing page, locate your “Administration” block (which is now displaying settings related to your quiz). Usually, it is in the left column under the “Navigation” block.
- Click on the “User overrides” link.
- On the next screen, click on the “Add user override” button.
- Then on the “Edit override” page, click on the student’s name in the list.
- Scroll down and adjust the necessary settings. You can:
- Require this individuals with the override to enter a password to complete the quiz.
- Adjust the open and close date/time windows. Don’t forget to check to “Enable” button so that you can adjust these settings.
- Change the time limit. Don’t forget to check to “Enable” button so that you can adjust this setting.
- Allow more (or less) attempts than the quiz defaults.
- When you are done, click either the “Save” or “Save and enter another override” buttons.