If you grade your students in an activity’s grading screen, you can only provide grades in whole numbers. If the assignment is worth 5 points, you can only award 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. You may find yourself wanting to provide partial points/credit, for instance 4.5 out of 5 for an assignment. To give your students a grade that includes partial points, you must manually enter the grade in the gradebook.
Once you have entered a grade in the gradebook manually, you have to continue to update it manually in the gradebook. The gradebook overwrites/supersedes the assignment interface. If you want to revert back to the activity settings and remove the manual, overridden grade from the gradebook, you can follow this FAQ on removing a gradebook override.
Note: you can click on any image to view a larger version of the image.
- Login to Moodle and click on the course for which you wish to enter a partial-point grade.
- From the main page of your course, locate the ‘Administration’ block and click on the ‘Grades’ link.
- On the ‘Grader report’ screen, turn on the editing capabilities by clicking the ‘Turn editing on’ button in the upper right corner:
- You will know the editing is on when there are boxes for each student for each assignment. For manually created gradebook items, like ‘Extra Credit,’ you can simply type in the box the partial-point grade that the student earned.
- Make sure you click the ‘Save changes’ button at the bottom when you are done entering grades.
Now the grade item will show you the overall average, and the grades you entered have been saved.
- You can also enter feedback for items graded through the gradebook. This goes student by student. So to enter feedback and a grade for ‘Homework #1’ for Trinity Student 50, click on the gray ‘edit’ gear/cog wheel in the corresponding box:
- Then you can complete the final grade box and provide feedback in the ‘Feedback’ field. ‘Save changes’ when you are done!
- Note: if you turn your editing off at this point, you will notice that, where you manually entered a grade directly in the gradebook for an assignment activity, the background of the box is now tan or light brown. This is a visual indication for you that this item has been manually overridden in the gradebook. This means you can no longer update this grade through the assignment interface.