The Daily Attendance activity in Moodle allows instructors to track course attendance and students to see a record of their course attendance.
For videos on How to Set-up & Take Daily Attendance, visit the Faculty Resources page in Moodle, Topic 7.
- In your Moodle course, click the button to “Turn Editing On” in the upper right corner or click the “Turn Editing On” link in the “Administration” block in the left column.”
- In the top section, click on the “Add an Activity…” drop-down menu. Select “Daily Attendance” from the drop-down menu. This will take you to the “Adding a new Daily Attendance” page.
- On the “Adding a new Daily Attendance” page, update the name field and assign the appropriate value for the grade. If you wish to use groups, enable them here. If, for any reason, you wish to restrict your students’ access to the attendance report, you can also set those specifications here.
- When you are complete, click the “Save and Display” button.
- Next you will need to add sessions to your attendance activity. Click the “Add” tab (second from left) at the top of the page. You have two options here, to add a single session or to add multiple sessions. I recommend adding multiple sessions.
- Under the “Add Session” screen:
- Click the box next to “Create multiple sessions”.
- Update the “Session Date” with your first class meeting.
- You can choose to update the “Duration” or leave it at its default.
- Update your “Session end date”.
- In the “Session Days” area, click the boxes next to the days of the week you meet.
- Update your frequency.
- Add a description, if you wish.
- Click the “Add Session” button at the bottom of the screen. You should see a message telling you that your session were successfully created. Click “Continue.
- Your Daily Attendance activity is now set-up.
TO TAKE ATTENDANCE EACH WEEK:
- Click on the “Daily Attendance” activity from your course’s homepage.
- Sessions that have not had attendance taken will have a blue circle with a dash (similar to a computer’s “power” button) by the ‘edit’ and ‘delete’ icons in the right “Actions” column. Click on the blue circle with a dash.
- After each student’s name, select the appropriate level of attendance: Status: P – Present L – Late E – Excused A – Absent NOTE: If you click one of these column headings, all students will have their status changed to the status you selected.
- When you are done, click the “OK” button at the bottom. You will see a message that alerts you to the fact that attendance has been taken.
- NOTE: Should you need to adjust the Daily Attendance after you have already taken it, you can click on the now-hyperlinked (turned orange link other links in Moodle) date of the class session. This will bring you back to the Taking Attendance screen where you update your attendance.