The Attendance activity in Moodle allows instructors to track course attendance and students to see a record of their course attendance.
- In your Moodle course, click the button to “Turn Editing On” in the upper right corner or click the “Turn Editing On” link in the “Administration” block in the left column.
- In the top section, click on the “+Add an activity or resource” link.
- In the pop-up box that appears, click on the “Attendance” option under “Activities.” Click the “Add” button at the bottom of the page.
- On the “Adding a new Attendance” page, update the name field and assign the appropriate value for the grade. If you wish to use groups, enable them here. If, for any reason, you wish to restrict your students’ access to the attendance report, you can also set those specifications here.
- When you are complete, click the “Save and Display” button.
- Next you will need to add sessions to your attendance activity. Click the “Add” tab (second from left) at the top of the page.
- You have two options here, to add a single session or to add multiple sessions. I recommend adding multiple sessions.
- Under the “Add Session” screen:
- Click the box next to “Create multiple sessions”.
- Update the “Session Date” with the date of your first class meeting and the time your class starts in 24hr/military time (so 3:10pm would be 15 10).
- You can choose to update the “Duration” (hrs, then minutes) or leave it at its default.
- Update your “Session end date” (this is the last day of class).
- In the “Session Days” area, click the boxes next to the days of the week you meet.
- Update your frequency, if you do not meet every week. Note: Frequency is not how many times per week you meet; it’s whether you meet every week, every other week, every three weeks, for instance.
- Add a description, if you wish.
- Click the “Add Session” button at the bottom of the screen. You should see a message telling you that your session were successfully created. Click “Continue.”
- Once the sessions have been generated, you will be returned to the “Add Session” screen. Click the “Sessions” tab to return to the main page for your Attendance activity.
- When you return to the main page of your Attendance activity, you may not see any sessions listed yet. The activity defaults to a view of the current week’s attendance sessions. Click on the “All” display option to show all of the sessions you just generated:
- Now you should be able to see all of the sessions you set-up. Your Attendance activity is now set-up.
TO TAKE ATTENDANCE EACH WEEK:
- Click on the “Attendance” activity from your course’s homepage.
- Sessions that have not had attendance taken will have a blue circle with a dash (similar to a computer’s “power” button) by the ‘edit’ and ‘delete’ icons in the right “Actions” column. Click on the blue circle with a dash.
- After each student’s name, select the appropriate level of attendance status:
- P – Present
- L – Late
- E – Excused
- A – Absent
- When you are done, click the “Save attendance” button at the bottom. You will see a message that alerts you to the fact that attendance has been taken:
- NOTE: Should you need to adjust the Attendance after you have already taken it, you can click on the now-hyperlinked (turned orange link other links in Moodle) date or time of the class session or click on the green ‘return’ arrow:
- This will bring you back to the Taking Attendance screen where you update your attendance. At this point, simply update whichever attendance entry you need to update and click the “Save attendance” button.
AUTOMATIC GRADING OF ATTENDANCE SESSIONS:
Moodle allots each attendance session two points, broken down as such:
- Present – 2 points out of 2 points possible
- Late – 1 point out of 2
- Excused – 1 out of 2
- Absent – 0 out of 2
If you have 16 attendance sessions, and student A has an attendance record of 13 P, 1 L, and 2 A, they would have earned 27 out of 32 points which is an 84.375 (27/32). That 84.375 is the grade that Moodle would put in the gradebook for the Daily Attendance activity.