Library Research Guide: Religion & Theology
Databases (Scholarly Articles)
- ProQuest Religion – A comprehensive collection of journals and magazines covering religious issues and perspectives, including religious news and information, commentary on topics of general interest from the perspective of a particular religion, and formal theological studies. Most articles are in full-text and/or page image formats (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
- JSTOR – offers full-text access to archival and current issues of over 1,400 scholarly journal titles in more than 50 subject areas, including 62 titles in Religion (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
- Academic Search Premier – “This multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles,” including many Theology and Religious Studies topics (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
General Internet Religion Resources
- Internet Public Library – Contains links to a large number of Religion & Theology websites including links to electronic versions of religions texts, information on leading religious figures, religious encyclopedias, and many more.
- Voice of the Shuttle: Religious Studies – Maintained by the University of California, Santa Barbara, this website is an annotated guide to online resources, providing links and descriptions for a large amount of “information resources for study and interpretation of religion.”
- The Vatican – The official website for the Catholic Church’s Vatican with links to the Vatican Archives, speeches/messages/letters from the current and previous popes, a calendar of activities, and information on other Vatical initiatives.
Back to top
- Association of Religious Data Files – A compilation of national and international collections of data regarding religious associations of populations throughout the world. It includes national profiles of religious orientation and an extensive data archive collected from a variety of religious surveys and reports among many other helpful maps and illustrations of religious populations.
- Adherents – “over 41,000 adherent statistics and religious geography citations — references to published membership/adherent statistics and congregation statistics for over 4,200 religions, churches, denominations, religious bodies, faith groups, tribes, cultures, movements, ultimate concerns, etc.”
- Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life – “Based on interviews with more than 35,000 American adults, this extensive survey by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life details the religious makeup, religious beliefs and practices as well as social and political attitudes of the American public.” It includes data tables and follows up with analysis of the findings in numerous articles on social issues that affect religious beliefs.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States: Religion – Compiling information from the “Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic Analysis, and many other Federal agencies and private organizations,” the Statistical Abstract provides information on religious identification of U.S. Citizens, data on the number of religious bodies, and the number of adherents by state. Each table describes the methodology used to collect the data.
Back to top
Complete Subject Guide Listing