Find Scholarly Articles
- Literature Online (LION) – offers a collection of more than 350,000 works of English and American poetry, drama and prose, 136 full-text literature journals, and other key criticism and reference resources. Also offers the Poets On Screen Library containing 630 clips of poets reading their own and other poets’ work (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
- JSTOR – offers full-text access to archival and current issues of over 1,400 scholarly journal titles in more than 50 subject areas, including 249 titles in Language and Literature (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
- Academic Search Premier – “This multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles,” including many literature and writing subjects (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
- ProQuest Research Library – Full-text articles and citations to articles relevant to many subjects including language and literature (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
- Internet Public Library: Literary Criticism – “Contains critical and biographical websites about authors and their works that can be browsed by author, by title, or by nationality and literary period.”
Full-Text Resources (E-Books and Texts)
- Internet Archive: E-books and Texts Archive – Provides access to digital or scanned copies of a large selection of fiction, children’s literature, historical documents, and academic texts. It is part of the larger Internet Archive, which was established to provide permanent access to digital collections in a variety of formats (texts, audio, video, web pages, etc.)
- Electronic Text Center – Features an on-line archive of tens of thousands of electronic texts and images. Other languages (French, German, Latin, and Spanish) are available. From the University of Virginia (Some resources are limited to UVA students).
- Internet Public Library: Books Collection – Provides links to a variety of other websites that contain digital collections and e-books.
- Online Books Page – Features over 18,000 books plus some serials. Visitors can browse by subject, author, title or see new additions. Also features special lists (e.g. banned books) and of various prize winners (e.g. the Nobel Prize, the Newbery Award, the Pulitzer Prize as well as the full-text of these award-winning books, provided that the title are “either out of copyright (at least in the US), or are online with the permission of the copyright holder”.
- Complete Works of William Shakespeare – “The Web’s first edition of the Complete Works of William Shakespeare” compiled by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.