Subject Guides: Law & Legal Research
Find Scholarly Articles
- Lexis Nexis Academic Universe – full-text database available to Trinity College students, faculty and staff (Library Barcode log-in required for remote access). This is a rich resource for legal research as it includes case law (federal, state and local) as well as full-text articles from legal journals.
- JSTOR – offers full-text access to archival and current issues of over 1,400 scholarly journal titles in more than 50 subject areas, including 73 titles in Law (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
- Academic Search Premier – “This multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles,” including many legal subjects (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
- ProQuest Research Library – full-text articles and citations to articles relevant to many subjects including law (Library Barcode log-in required for off-campus access).
Back to top
Internet Law & Legal Research Sources
- Internet Public Library: Law – Contains links to a large variety of Internet resources pertaining to Law and Legal Issues that include legal dictionaries, government websites, and legal resources for both national and international law.
- Zimmerman’s Research Guide – Online legal research encyclopedia with links to other online resources on a wide range of legal topics.
- Cornell Law School Legal Information Institute – a user-friendly guide to legal resources on the Web, including the U.S. Code, the Code of Federal Regulations, as well as “Law About,” a legal encyclopedia.
- Findlaw – a comprehensive index of links to case law, codes, legal news, law associations, law reviews, etc. “LawCrawler’ permits web searching limited to legal sites. Includes an electronic legal dictionary. Generally recognized as the most comprehensive web index for legal topics.
Back to top
Federal Government Law Resources
- Global Legal Information Network - another service of the Library of Congress, this site’s Guide to Law Online provides links to legal and political information from countries around the world.
- GPO Access – this website provided by the U.S. Government Printing Office provides access to offiicial government publications including the U.S. Code, the U.S. Constitution, the Code of Federal Regulations, the Federal Register, the Congressional Record, and the Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents.
- Supreme Court – Official website of the United States Supreme Court with a calendar of oral arguments arguments, case opinions, etc.
- Thomas – a service of the Library of Congress, Thomas provides access to information on pending and recent federal legislation, including the full text of all bills, public laws and legislation.
Back to top
Local State Law Resources
Distict of Columbia
- District of Columbia: Government – Homepage of the D.C. Government with helpful resources for DC residents including links to the Executive Office of the Mayor, Health and Human Services and Public Safety information, district maps, among many other items.
- District of Columbia: Laws – District of Columbia Official Code that is easily accessible for DC residents.
- District of Columbia: Courts – Homepage of the D.C. Courts with information on jury duty, searchable court case rulings, and Court of Appeals opinions.
- Maryland: Government – Homepage of the Maryland Government with helpful resources for Maryland residents including links to the Office of the Governor,Housing and Public Safety, Education, Heath, and Tax Assistance.
- Maryland: Laws – Code of Maryland with helpful Search Hints and FAQ links. Also, the Maryland General Assembly provides information on the status of bills, Maryland statutes, and House and Senate proceedings.
- Maryland: Courts – Judicial resources for the Courts of MD including searchable court opinions, jury duty information, court records, etc.
- Virginia: Government – Homepage of the Virginia Government with helpful resources for Virginia residents including links to the Office of the Governor,Education, Heath and Social Services, Tax Assistance, and Records and Certificates.
- Virginia: Laws – The Code of Virginia in online searchable format with a Table of Contents and list of commonly used Proper Names. The Virginia General Assembly also oversees the online Legislative Information System which lists bills and resolutions, budget information, meetings, statstics, and other items from the current and previous Assembly sessions.
- Virginia: Courts – Virginia’s Judicial System website which allows one to search court records, opinions, gather information on the various judicial branch agencies, and provides links to other legal resources.
Back to top
Complete Subject Guide Listing