Trinity Washington University, a comprehensive institution that offers a broad range of educational programs that prepare students across the lifespan for the intellectual, ethical and spiritual dimensions of contemporary work, civic and family life, seeks a Director of Athletics to support our athletics programming with our university.
PART II: POSITION INFORMATION:
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Director of Athletics is the chief administrator of all current and future athletic program initiatives. The director provides leadership for the development, organization and supervision of the intercollegiate athletic programs and intramural programs. The Director will develop and manage athletic summer camps, similar programs and collaborations, and be responsible for compliance with NCAA regulations and policies.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
A Master’s degree in Athletic Administration, Sports Management, Physical Education or a related field plus five (5) years of relevant experience in a college athletic department is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Understands the function and role of athletics at a Division III, Catholic, private, liberal arts women’s college
- Interest, experience and ability to motive student athletes similar to Trinity’s student demographic – predominately African American and Hispanic women – towards success in their chosen sport and academically
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage all administrative, personnel, and operational functions of the Athletics department in accordance with established policies, procedures, regulatory/legal requirements, and compliance standards
- Ability to plan for and prioritize operational and budgetary needs
- Ability to motivate, and retain excellent, dedicated coaches and athletics staff
- Knowledge of coaching and personnel management
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience
- Supervisory experience
- Thorough knowledge of NCAA regulations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
SPECIAL LICENSES, REGISTRATION OR CERTIFICATION:
- First Aid
- Valid Driver’s License
LEVEL & TYPE OF EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in college athletics administration and management or related fields
- Demonstrated commitment to university mission, goals, programs, policies, and services intended to maximize student personal growth, education, and development as well as fostering student success.
- Experience working with a diverse population of college women
- Experience working in an urban campus environment
- Previous experience as an athletic team player or coach is desired
- 40 hours per week minimum, 12 month position with earned leave
PART III: DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND TASKS:
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES (Functions and Tasks):
- Direct and supervise the administration of all current and future athletic programs and all administrative, operational and business functions of the Athletic department in accordance with the policies and procedures established by Trinity Washington University, athletic conference and the NCAA
- Ensure that all athletic department activities are aligned with the mission of the University
- Supervise and manage the budget for athletic programs including recommendations for expenditures and new program initiatives
- Organize and direct all programs for intercollegiate sports for Trinity, in compliance with NCAA Division III regulations
- Implement recreational and intramural programming for students
- Develop and supervise all summer sports camp programs for girls and women
- Prepare and circulate schedules to athletes, coaches, administration, students, faculty, and staff
- Purchase equipment and schedule equipment maintenance
- Schedule athletic events as they related to Trinity sports teams
- Provide general oversight and direction for the Athletics website, social media and other communication mechanisms
- Manage contracts for games and officials
- Coordinate sports related events, such as contests, awards dinners, etc.
- Must be present and provide assistance on game days
- Recruit student-athletes for Trinity’s athletic program in conjunction with NCAA rules and in consultation with Admissions and Enrollment Services
- Represent Trinity at conferences and NCAA meeting including the national NCAA convention, which is required for members
- Provide leadership to coaches and staff to ensure optimal performance and conduct meetings regularly to keep them informed of all matters pertaining to the athletic programs
- Provide information about Trinity’s athletic teams to other colleges, universities, local media and Admissions
- Consults regularly with the VP for Student Affairs regarding all matters pertaining to Athletics and student athletes
- Develop goals and objectives for the athletic department
- Prepare and submit reports to NCAA, Conference and University
- Work collaboratively with the Director of the Trinity Center and staff
- Participate in meetings as a member of the leadership team for Student Affairs
SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES (Functions & Tasks):
Other duties as assigned and deemed necessary by the Vice President for Student Affairs
CAMPUS COMMUNITY EVENTS PARTICIPATION:
It is expected that the Director of Athletics will participate and contribute to the success of University events, in addition to Student Activity events. The following events require your attendance and participation:
Orientation, Cap and Gown, Convocation, Freshman Medal, Junior Ring, Sophomore Pin, Founder’s Day, and Commencement.
- The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential tasks of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing duties for this job, the employee is regularly required to use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. Employee is required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to ten pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Position requires clear speaking voice for telephone work.
- The work environment characteristics are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions.
- Employee must be able to work efficiently with many interruptions involving walk-in and telephone inquiries and requests.
- The noise level in work environment is usually quiet but with frequent interruptions
All interested candidates should submit a letter of application that includes a statement of qualifications for this position, current curriculum vitae with email address, and the names of three professional references to: email@example.com Please reference “Director of Athletics in the subject line.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made.
Trinity is an Affirmative Action/Equal Access/Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to the
achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty and staff. Trinity is
committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all
qualified individuals to apply.