Trinity, a comprehensive university in the nation’s capital, invites applications for a full-time academic advisor for the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS), Trinity’s historic women’s college. This position will have a particular emphasis on working with students to increase retention and completion rates through the development and assessment of academic advising programming and initiatives.
Working as part of a team of advisors within the College, the advisor will help develop and be part of implementing a case-management approach in which he or she will work directly and consistently with a variety of students. CAS students come to Trinity with diverse backgrounds and a wide range of needs, and as such, the professional advisor will be responsible for employing appropriate advising models and developing outreach programs and interventions that will assist students in their long-term college success. The CAS advisor will be responsible for developing learning outcomes and assessing the overall effectiveness of programs and interventions put forth by the office. In order to meet the needs of Trinity’s diverse student population, CAS advisors maintain regular office hours that are consistent with the business hours of the institution and also participate in some evening and weekend events and programs.
- A minimum of a master’s degree, with coursework directly relevant to the position
- A minimum of two years of working at the university level
- Strong knowledge of student development theory and/or counseling theory and practice
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills
- The ability to explain complex information, including curriculum and university policies, to a wide range of audiences
- A high degree of organization and record keeping skills
- Demonstrated experience in evaluation and assessment of interventions
- Direct experience as an academic advisor, academic success coach, or other similar position that emphasizes student success as measured by academic performance, retention, and completion rates
- A strong knowledge of advising methodologies and a well-developed approach to academic advising
- Experience with transcript evaluation
- Demonstrated quantitative and/or qualitative evaluation and assessment skills
Overall, the ideal candidate will have a master’s degree in higher education, student affairs, or counseling, two years direct experience as an academic advisor, excellent organization, interpersonal, and verbal and written communication skills, and experience with research, evaluation, and assessment. Additionally, he or she will be a motivated self-starter eager for the challenge of working at a growing, mission-based institution.
Please send a cover letter and a resume or curriculum vitae to email@example.com. Please include the phrase “CAS Advisor” and the candidate’s last name in the subject line. Candidates invited to interview on campus will provide transcripts as well as contact information for current and past supervisors familiar with the applicant’s skill set.
Review of applications will continue until an appointment is made.
Trinity Washington University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Access/Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty and staff.