POSITION OVERVIEW: Campus Housing supports the academic mission of Trinity by ensuring an excellent, safe and productive learning environment for Trinity’s residential students. The Resident Director is a full time professional staff member who is responsible for the operation and oversight of one Residence Hall of approximately 150 students, primarily first year women in the College of Arts and Sciences. She has responsibility to plan and implement programs for residents, assist in crisis and emergency response, provide administrative support for residence life, provide a high level of interaction and engagement with students, and assist students in their adjustment to college.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master’s degree in student services, educational leadership, counseling, educational administration or related field from a four-year college or university with at least two years experience in Residence Life and Campus Housing.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrate understanding of women college students and first year college student needs
- Possess crisis intervention and management skills
- Specially developed skills in being a resource and referral person
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in diverse community respectfully with staff and students
- Able to demonstrate leadership
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
SPECIAL LICENSES, REGISTRATION OR CERTIFICATION:
- First Aid and CPR
LEVEL & TYPE OF EXPERIENCE:
- Prior experience as a Resident Assistant, Resident Coordinator or similar
- Experience working with a diverse population of college women
- This is a 12 month, live-on position. The Resident Director will hold office hours during University business hours as well as participate in a duty rotation schedule and serve as on-call professional staff member for emergency and crisis situations in the evenings and weekends in rotation with the Director of Campus Housing.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND TASKS:
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES (Functions and Tasks):
- Encourages, motivates and provides direction for students and staff members through the implementation of a living learning community programming model
- Assists in the community development activities in assigned halls, ensuring that the activities are promoting student development
- Works closely with other departments such as the Conway Scholars, Athletics and the First Year Experience to positively impact the residential experience of the students associated with these programs
- Responds to concerns received by Vice President for Student Affairs, Dean of Student Services or Director of Campus Housing by meeting with students suspected of struggling with transition-to-college, mental health or social well-being issues and circumstances
- Remains visible in the residence halls by personally visiting on a regular basis and performing frequent walk-throughs of the halls throughout the year
- Work in collaboration with the Resident Coordinators and Director of Campus Housing on targeting programming for resident students
- Advises the Residence Hall Council
- Supervises 2 to 3 parttime Resident Coordinators
- Adheres to university and department policies, procedures and regulations
- Provides crisis/emergency management and participates in the rotating on-call programs including summer term
- Provides counseling to residents and staff members making referrals to university resources as needed
- Assist with hall reporting procedures to include room changes, consolidation, no shows, break housing move assignments, and all other housing administrative functions as required by the department
- Supervise and provide ongoing evaluation and training of staff
- Assist the Director of Campus Housing with an annual policy review, incident report and facilities management completion
- Plan and implement monthly in-service opportunities for Resident Coordinators
SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES (Functions & Tasks):
- Attend weekly Campus Housing staff meetings
- Collaborate with Student Affairs staff members on campus wide programming initiatives
- Other duties as assigned and deemed necessary by the Dean of Student Services and Vice President for Student Affairs
CAMPUS COMMUNITY EVENTS PARTICIPATION:
It is expected that you will participate and contribute to the success of official events, in addition to Student Activity events. The following events require your attendance and participation:
Orientation, Cap and Gown, Convocation, Freshman Medal, Junior Ring, Sophomore Pin, Founder’s Day, and Commencement.
- The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential tasks of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing duties for this job, the employee is regularly required to use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. Employee is required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to ten pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Position requires clear speaking voice for telephone work.
- The work environment characteristics are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions.
- Employee must be able to work efficiently with many interruptions involving walk-in and telephone inquiries and requests.
- The noise level in work environment is usually quiet but with frequent interruptions
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com Please reference “Resident Director” in the subject line.
Trinity is an Affirmative Action/Equal Access/Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty and staff. Trinity is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all qualified individuals to apply.
Review of applications will continue until an appointment is made.