Trinity in Washington, DC seeks a professional with experience to serve as Resident Director of Campus Housing for a residential community which houses approximately 300-350 female students during the academic year. Reporting to the Director of Campus Housing and Conferences, the Resident Director assists in the planning, management and supervision of all residential space on Trinity’s campus, both space occupied by Trinity students and space occupied by conference guests and long-term residents. The Resident Director is a live-in full-time professional staff person who provides leadership plus administrative direction to students. The Resident Director will help hire a team of professional residence hall staff to live in and supervise Trinity’s four residence halls. The Resident Director will also supervise the Resident Coordinators responsible for each residence hall and work closely with the Director to develop programs and communications to enhance the appeal of living on campus, articulate the philosophy and policies of the Office of Campus Housing and Residence Life to residents and represent the needs of the students. This is a 12 month position. The Resident Director is responsible for assisting Conference Services during the Summer Term with a 2 week vacation.
University Housing Mission:
The Residence Life program seeks to enhance the aims of Trinity’s educational program by providing a living environment that is conducive to academic progress and personal growth and development.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrate the understanding of student needs, become familiar with, and act as resource and referral for campus and community resources
- Possess active crisis intervention and management skills
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively work in a diverse community respectfully with staff and students regardless of their race, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, national origin, gender, age, or disability status
- Able to demonstrate leadership and work in a collaborative environment
Functions and Tasks:
- Coordinate Residence Life staff selection and training
- Coordinate housing eligibility and room selection process
- Coordinate the opening and closing of the Residence Halls
- Develop a student government board for residential students (House/Hall Councils)
- Work cooperatively with Facility Services for all housing requests
- Other duties as assigned by the Office of Campus Housing/Residence Life as deemed necessary
Essential Administrative Responsibilities:
- The Resident Director is a full-time 40 hours per week staff person. The Resident Director is also expected to maintain an active presence on campus in order to provide ultimate service to the Resident Coordinators and residents. This includes nights and weekends.
- Assist the Director with openings and closings, orientation, assignments and other administrative tasks.
- Prepare necessary reports as directed, in a thorough and timely fashion
- Attend assigned staff meetings, in-service training sessions, and all appropriate retreats, workshops, or seminars assigned by the Office of Camus Housing/Res. Life. And conduct staff meetings on a weekly basis with Resident Coordinators
- Enforce university and residence life/housing policies
- Develop and monitor staff on-call coverage schedule. Participate in the supervisor rotation
- Help the Director of Campus Housing and Dean of Students with judicial matters as deemed necessary. This includes participating as a member of the Judicial Board and handling minor visitor violations in house.
- The Resident Director will assist Conferences with tasks, on-call functions and other assistance during summer months as deemed necessary. She will also assist during the academic year with evening emergencies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Office of Campus Housing/Residence Life as deemed necessary.
- Direct and assist Resident Coordinators with community building
- Interface effectively with Department of Student Services (DOSS); the Provost and the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS)
- Participate with DOSS on student counseling and health service issues and disciplinary matters
- Aid Director with all administrative functions concerning community building and hall/campus activities
- Assist RC’s and residents in establishing a positive and inclusive atmosphere and encouraging behavior that ensures safety, security, community and a sense of unity within the residence halls
- Coordinate and support hall/campus/community efforts to provide successful programs
- Establish a positive living/learning environment through creative programming. Assist Director in establishing a programming model
- Direct and mentor staff to reach team goals/requirements
- Serve as a resource to all staff and residents
- Maintain knowledge of building concerns
- Serve as a positive role model for staff and students
- Monitor and evaluate RC staff performance
- Meet individually with RC’s on a regular basis, in order to monitor performance and community needs
- Provide in-service training and Staff Development exercises when necessary
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please indicate “Resident Director” in the subject line.
Review of applications will continue until an appointment is made.
Trinity Washington University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Access/Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty and staff. Trinity is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all qualified women to apply.