Trinity, a comprehensive university in Washington, D.C, is seeking a part-time paid Accounting Intern to serve as part of the Business Office. The Accounting Intern will work closely with the Assistant Controller and Controller. Technical competence, reliability and commitment are priorities and key responsibilities. The goodwill of the university must be reflected to all who come in contact with this person while utilizing appropriate measures to preserve the institutions rights, resources, financial integrity and reputation in every instance. The Accounting Intern will be exposed to highly sensitive matters, and sound judgment is important as errors in judgment could adversely affect the financial integrity and the reputation of the institution.
Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong computer skills, especially related to data-entry and spreadsheet processing; ability to problem solve; demonstrated ability to organize information, time and widely desperate priorities and complex issues so as to accomplish multiple ongoing and unrelated time critical tasks.
- Reviews and prepares cash receipt deposits and journal entries for all student transactions; includes processing and transmitting bank deposits and reconciling cash receipt batches to source documents.
- Researches and resolves cash receipt or accounts receivable related inquiries.
- Maintains student refund ACH database and performs weekly reconciliation of all related refund transactions.
- Documents and creates flowcharts of the processes within the Business Office related to cash receipts and accounts receivable.
- Serves as a customer service liaison within the Business Office, including answering customer in-person and phone inquiries, and responding to voicemails, emails, and faxes.
- Assists with the matching of vendor invoices to purchase orders and receiving information from individual departments.
- Assists with the weekly check runs.
- Performs a weekly reconciliation of enrollment deposits between accounts receivable sub-ledger and Admissions source documents.
- Assists in managing escheat process, including processing of stale check letters, completing required reports, and preparing of remittances to DC.
- Assists in maintaining of Business Office website, ensuring that information posted is kept up to date and forms and information are readily available to internal and external users.
- Assists in completing excel schedules for monthly and annual closing processes.
- Provides general office administrative support, including filing and office supply ordering.
EDUCATION and/licensure REQUIREMENTS:
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or other business-related field.
- Junior status or higher.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work a minimum of 15 hours a week (Schedule is flexible, but the 15 hours a week must be between 9 AM – 3 PM, Monday – Thursday)
- Ability to work a Saturday rotation from 8 AM – 2 PM approximately one time per month
- Ability to commit to a term of not less than six months, and preferably one year.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly related to spreadsheet and database packages.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to multi-task effectively.
- Knowledge of current accounting and financial reporting standards and internal controls guidance is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for providing superior customer service.
Review of applications will continue until an appointment is made.
Trinity Washington University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Access/Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its students, faculty and staff. Trinity is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community and strongly encourages all qualified individuals to apply.