Related: Deans Blog

Happy Birthday Dr. Suess!

By Guest Blogger Dr. Bweikia Steen

Oh, the memories I have made and shared by reading many of Dr. Seuss’s all time favorites:  Oh, The Places You’ll Go, Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? and One Fish, Two fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish… but my favorite Dr. Seuss book would have to be Green Eggs and Ham.  As a teacher, I can remember reading Green Eggs and Ham to my young students and loving to watch the smiles as they chanted along with me as I read.  I enjoyed the delightful cheers and occasional sounds of distaste whenever I announced that we would make our own green eggs and ham.  Cooking with my young students was an integral part of my curriculum; it was a great way to integrate content areas and promote Social-emotional development.  Students collaborated to:  read the recipe, measure the ingredients, make predictions, solve problems that arose, document the progress, and graph the results.

And wow, no matter the age, 3 or 7 years old, my students loved this endeavor even though some would exclaim, “Yuck!  It’s green!”  Once they took that first bite, some reluctantly, they would shout, “I love green eggs and ham.  I do.  I do.  Sam I am!”  What pleasure it was to watch them all enjoy the results of our labor and plead for more green eggs and ham.

So go ahead America!  Enjoy today!!!  It’s a great excuse to read!  READ!! READ!!!!  All day long, and of course an excuse to make delicious green eggs and ham.  – Dr. Steen

This entry was posted in Deans Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

Connect with Trinity: Contact the Trinity Office of Admissions by email at admissions@trinitydc.edu, or by phone at (202) 884-9400 or (800) 492-6882. Fax us at (202) 884-9403.