Government Resources for Students with Disabilities
State Vocational Rehabilitation
DC Advocacy Partners (DC AP)
The Institute for Educational Leadership (IEL) is seeking a diverse group of highly-motivated and enthusiastic men and women to participate in the fifth class of DC Advocacy Partners (DC AP). DC AP is a free nine-month leadership training program designed to develop and train self-advocates, family members of individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities, and professionals working with people with disabilities in the policymaking, influencing, and implementing processes. DC Advocacy Partners is funded by the DC Developmental Disabilities Council. Here’s a little more information:
- DC Advocacy Partners classes, meals, transportation, and childcare/respite are at no cost to selected participants.
- Participants must be 18 or older and either have an intellectual and/or developmental disability or be a family member of someone with an intellectual and/or developmental disability. A limited number of professionals working with people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities will also be accepted. All participants must also be DC residents.
- Participants must be able to make a commitment to attend nine day-and-a-half sessions (Friday evening and Saturday once a month) between January 2016 and September 2016. They also must commit to completing all assignments and keeping the DC AP staff informed as to their advocacy activities after graduation in September.
- Topics to be addressed will include Disability History and Services, Inclusive Education, Integrated Employment, Community Organizing, Local and Federal legislation, and more!
- APPLICATION DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 16, 2015 To download an application, visit http://dcpartners.iel.org/become-a-partner. If you would like an application mailed or faxed to you or need any assistance, please call 202-822-8405 x132. Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to 202-872-4050, or mailed to:
- DC Advocacy Partners at the Institute for Educational Leadership4301 Connecticut Ave NW, Suite 100, Washington, DC 20008