Related: Uncategorized

Give Thanks!: My Perspective on Thanksgiving

turkey 2It’s no secret that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I cannot hide the excitement anytime the big meal is mentioned. The top 3 reasons why I love Thanksgiving are:

• It’s a holiday about eating. I love all different kinds of food. The more options the better. With a multitude of side dishes and desserts, it is a foodie’s dream come true.
  • It’s a holiday of thanks, not religion. No matter what faith you celebrate, if any, you can recognize the need to stop and give thanks for the many good things in your life.
  • It’s a holiday of tradition. Whether it be the cracking the wishbone, rooting for the Detroit Lions, or watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, families and friends all keep traditions alive no matter how big or small.

With all of the terrible things going on in the world, I think it’s really important to remember how lucky we are that we are celebrating thanksgiving:

• It’s a holiday about eating – How lucky I am that I have food to eat! I am not a displaced immigrant or refugee who doesn’t know where I’m going to live, work or provide for my family. I am not living in a military dictatorship that controls all the nation’s resources.
  • It’s a holiday of thanks, not religion – How important is it for us to think about how each person on earth deserves basic human rights no matter what religious beliefs they have!
  • It’s a holiday of tradition. How fortunate am I that I can spend this holiday with my friends and family with whom I have formed traditions!  I am not mourning the loss of a family member or friend due to terrorism, oppression, or illness.  I am not living far away from my family because of difficult choices that I had to make in order to survive.

And because I just live a little bit of trivia, here are 3 things you might not have known about Thanksgiving:

For more thanksgiving history!

Happy Thanksgiving!

trukey 1

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.