Related: Continuing Education, Katie Omenitsch

Comics in the Classroom?

8015843393_6701ed8039_bI recently watched an episode of Girl Meets World on the Disney Channel. I know I may be little outside the demographic for that show, but in fairness I did grow up watching its parent show, Boy Meets World. The episode I watched centered on a new English teacher using comic books in the classroom even after being told to stick to the set curriculum. The idea was to show students that there are lessons to be learned even in thing we do not consider academic, like comic books.

In the last decade, I have noticed a shift from traditional literature to more contemporary works that would not have previously been considered appropriate in an academic setting. Last school year a friend’s daughter completed a book report on the Hunger Games. I am almost certain that when I was her age I would not have been allowed to complete a book report on something similar. I think it is great that teachers are beginning to reach students on their level and use materials that they find interesting. Learning happens when students are engaged and interested.

I started thinking about this topic when I saw a post on Edutopia.org referencing several videos linking comic books to learning opportunities. Do you think comic books and other young adult novels can be used in the classroom? How would you incorporate them into your lessons?

This entry was posted in Continuing Education, Katie Omenitsch. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Comics in the Classroom?

1. Ashlee Doris says:

As a nerd/geek, I completely agree comics should be used as a tool in the class room. It’s literature. Comics address a number of issues in issues and a large range of genre. And for me I think it includes comics, graphic novels and manga as well. I think pulling I guess pop nerd culture into class would be amazing. Even just convention culture is a thing. Especially in the local Maryland/DC area.There are so many norms and guidelines.