Related: Katie Omenitsch

C U @ #writingclass

downloadI am not a writer.  I have never enjoyed writing and never liked much of what I have written.  In fact, writing this blog entry is a rather difficult task for me to complete.  While I am not thrilled to write, I think participating in this blog has been, and will hopefully continue to be, a good experience.  It has made me appreciate having the ability, when necessary, to express myself through writing.

All of that being said, I think expressing oneself through writing is becoming somewhat lost in society.  The popularity of social media and the need for instant gratification has increased short, choppy, and often grammatically incorrect writing.  If what you have to say cannot fit in 140 characters, then is it really worth saying?  Facebook posts, tweets, and even blogging have caused society as a whole to take less care with their writing.  Proper grammar and spelling are not as valued as they once were.  I am just as guilty as the next person of quickly writing a post and missing a spelling error, but I hope it doesn’t happen to me very often.  Also, given that most programs and websites have built in grammar and spell checkers, it is hard to understand why errors are so prevalent.

Being able to accurately get your point across in 140 characters is extremely difficult.  Learning to write with brevity is important in professional and academic settings.  However, it can lead to sacrificing grammar and spelling for character length.  Most jobs require an extraordinary amount of email communication that should utilize formal writing and proper grammar.  There are very few jobs nowadays that do not require writing in some fashion and everyone should know the difference between a tweet and a sentence.

Writing is important and it starts with the classroom.  Teachers, how do you incorporate writing and grammar into your lesson plans?

This entry was posted in Katie Omenitsch. Bookmark the permalink.