Related: Uncategorized

A Million Miles from Home

Attending Florida State University for my undergraduate degree was a great honor and achievement. However, being able to study and intern abroad through the FSU International Program changed my life.

During my senior year, I was afforded an opportunity to intern for CNBC Europe headquartered in London, England. After graduation, I was hired as a Program Assistant at the FSU London Study Center. I was fortunate to have lived and worked in an environment that was so different and distant from the comforts of home. Not only did I gain valuable work experience, but I was exposed to a new world that encompassed novel cultures, tastes, sights, and sounds. Although, I had traveled with my parents throughout the United States, our travels did not compare to the thrill of living abroad. It was through Florida State’s program I gained a love for musical theater; indulged in rich cuisines such as Indian, Lebanese, and Greek; toured great historic sites such as the Towers of London, Westminster Abbey, and Buckingham Palace; led day excursions to Cambridge, Windsor Castle, and Stonehenge; traveled independently to Spain, Italy, and France; and, met endearing friends whom I still visit on vacation.

Living in London was a rewarding and an invaluable experience. I learned about diversity and the simplicities of life. I learned how to be independent and adventurous. Most importantly, I learned there was a world that existed beyond my dreams and imagination. It is difficult to put into words this once-in-a-lifetime exposure, but I can encourage others to go and experience it first-hand. I am thankful to my alma mater for allowing me the opportunity and to my family, friends, and mentors who supported me along the way. Many moons have passed since I lived abroad but I am still reaping the benefits of that incredible, unforgettable journey.

Kathelon Toliver is Assistant to the Vice President of Academic Affairs and Provost.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

For more information contact CAS Advising at casadvising@trinitydc.edu